Horn problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suddenly this morning my horn sounds awfully squeaky, like it belongs in a much much smaller vehicles.

A replacement horn from Ford is <$20 and a pretty easy swap, but in 20+ years I’ve never heard of a horn just randomly dying. So it pretty confusing.

Anyone know if this is a thing or possibly a symptom of something else?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suddenly this morning my horn sounds awfully squeaky, like it belongs in a much much smaller vehicles.

A replacement horn from Ford is <$20 and a pretty easy swap, but in 20+ years I’ve never heard of a horn just randomly dying. So it pretty confusing.

Anyone know if this is a thing or possibly a symptom of something else?

I’ve been driving and owning vehicles for 50 years now. Over the years, I have replaced several horns (but not on a Ford).

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem might not be the horn, but the connector, wiring or switch in steering wheel not making full contact.

I had the horn freak out on my previous Ford truck after some water got behind the air bag housing (was washing truck and didn't notice that the window cracked open a tiny bit). It started honking all by itself two hours after the car wash and then died completely, lol.

OP
OP
C

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem might not be the horn, but the connector, wiring or switch in steering wheel not making full contact.

I had the horn freak out on my previous Ford truck after some water got behind the air bag housing (was washing truck and didn't notice that the window cracked open a tiny bit). It started honking all by itself two hours after the car wash and then died completely, lol.

Since the horn assembly is only $20 from Ford, I will start there...hopefully it's nothing more complicated than that

Your expedition must be an adolescent. It's voice is changing.

While I need to get a little more bass back in it's voice. This new sound hardly says get out the way, its much more of a "heeeeeeyyyyyy, excuse me"

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I need to get a little more bass back in it's voice. This new sound hardly says get out the way, its much more of a "heeeeeeyyyyyy, excuse me"

You need to accept your Expy as it comes out of the closet. Stop forcing it to be something it just isn't. Just because it has 4WD doesn't mean it wants to get dirty........

/s

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I work on industrial stuff, all the sudden these horns go from sounding nice and deep to sounding like somebody's strangling a duck. I probably sell 5-6 a week between the different styles we carry.

OP
OP
C

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
changed it out last night, and back to normal...looks like it was actually just a failure of the physical part

on the bright side, horn replacement is absurdly easy:
1) remove driver side headlight
2) remove horn (1 screw and 1 pinch-style electrical connector)
3) install is reverse of removal

you don't have move anything other than the headlight. You don't even have to stick you hand in an odd spot, its all just right there. by far one of the easiest replacements I've ever done. All in, including testing and reassembly, I don't think this took 10 minutes.

Last edited: