2016/third gen electrical gremlins - SYNC, Backup camera, blower motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikolairomanov

Reaction score
2016 XLT 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

as the title says, i'm having issues with the electrical system. everything else works beautifully. I know i am not the first to mention this, but i would like to start a new thread with the information i know so far to try and sort out a fix. There are three main issues to sort out in order of importance and difficulty fixing.

1. sync system (sync 1)
2. backup camera
3. blower motor intermittent stop

Sync system
This issue has been reported by multiple users. We all have the same symptoms, which are that the radio works and the xm radio works, but none of the actual sync features work. The strangest part is that these issues are intermittent. for me, it seems that it works more often (though not reliably) in the cold, such as when we have 20 degree mornings the sync features work fine but not at lunch when the temp gets up to 70. Through my research i have determined this means there is some problem with the APIM.

However, SYNC 1 APIMs are expensive, even on ebay, and are not guaranteed to work/require some minor hacking to be able to use with your expedition if they came out of another vehicle. maybe you could get one at a pick and pull but the compatibility would still be an issue afaik. I also have no been able to find any kind of guide on how to replace the APIM even if i did get another one.

therefore i would like to avoid replacing the APIM unless it's absolutely necessary. i have some concept that this may be a ground problem, and its also been reported by some users that their dealers stated there were corroded wires in the console causing the issue, but there was no resolution in the thread that this was brought up in.

(https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2017-ford-expedition-electrical-problem.48598/)

this thread also has other issues unrelated to the sync though, things i am not experiencing.

any advice on this one would be appreciated. currently i have a Bluetooth speaker on my dash that works ok but its not a pleasant or long term solution.

2. backup camera
the backup camera goes through periods of working and not working. sometimes it is glitchy, and does not display right on the multimedia screen. its distorted and the colors are messed up. my guess is there is some kind of electrical issue, and a thread also mentions that there is a youtube video of an explorer having a similar issue, that poor drainage in the rear hatch caused the connector to become corroded.

im hoping i dont have to tear the rear hatch apart as i have already had to somewhat do this before, causing damage to the clips, because the (i assume anyways due to the poor work done on it before i bought it) chimpanzee that owned it before me had disconnected all of the windshield wiper lines at the front and back.

3. blower motor

i am having the same issue as many people with needing to kick the wiring when it cuts out suddenly. this issue in particular has been rather sporadic recently, but when summer first started to get hot it was a thing pretty much every time i started the vehicle.

this one is the lowest priority for me because i know about multiple possible issues with it, including the "fire risk" recall for which ford is supposedly working on manufacturing new parts in order to fix. but if it could possibly be caused, along with everything else, by a bad ground, it would be nice if it was fixed as well.

Overall I am in love with the idea of the expedition as an overlanding platform with decent ground clearance once modified. Towing capacity and the surprising efficiency of the 3.5 Ecoboost are nice bonuses. but I want to get it right before i start working on extra stuff like a lift kit, roof rack, tires, bumper replacement, and internal modifications.

thanks if you choose to read all of this and please go easy on me as this is pretty much my first post here.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 XLT 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

as the title says, i'm having issues with the electrical system. everything else works beautifully. I know i am not the first to mention this, but i would like to start a new thread with the information i know so far to try and sort out a fix. There are three main issues to sort out in order of importance and difficulty fixing.

1. sync system (sync 1)
2. backup camera
3. blower motor intermittent stop

Sync system
This issue has been reported by multiple users. We all have the same symptoms, which are that the radio works and the xm radio works, but none of the actual sync features work. The strangest part is that these issues are intermittent. for me, it seems that it works more often (though not reliably) in the cold, such as when we have 20 degree mornings the sync features work fine but not at lunch when the temp gets up to 70. Through my research i have determined this means there is some problem with the APIM.

However, SYNC 1 APIMs are expensive, even on ebay, and are not guaranteed to work/require some minor hacking to be able to use with your expedition if they came out of another vehicle. maybe you could get one at a pick and pull but the compatibility would still be an issue afaik. I also have no been able to find any kind of guide on how to replace the APIM even if i did get another one.

therefore i would like to avoid replacing the APIM unless it's absolutely necessary. i have some concept that this may be a ground problem, and its also been reported by some users that their dealers stated there were corroded wires in the console causing the issue, but there was no resolution in the thread that this was brought up in.

(https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2017-ford-expedition-electrical-problem.48598/)

this thread also has other issues unrelated to the sync though, things i am not experiencing.

any advice on this one would be appreciated. currently i have a Bluetooth speaker on my dash that works ok but its not a pleasant or long term solution.

2. backup camera
the backup camera goes through periods of working and not working. sometimes it is glitchy, and does not display right on the multimedia screen. its distorted and the colors are messed up. my guess is there is some kind of electrical issue, and a thread also mentions that there is a youtube video of an explorer having a similar issue, that poor drainage in the rear hatch caused the connector to become corroded.

im hoping i dont have to tear the rear hatch apart as i have already had to somewhat do this before, causing damage to the clips, because the (i assume anyways due to the poor work done on it before i bought it) chimpanzee that owned it before me had disconnected all of the windshield wiper lines at the front and back.

3. blower motor

i am having the same issue as many people with needing to kick the wiring when it cuts out suddenly. this issue in particular has been rather sporadic recently, but when summer first started to get hot it was a thing pretty much every time i started the vehicle.

this one is the lowest priority for me because i know about multiple possible issues with it, including the "fire risk" recall for which ford is supposedly working on manufacturing new parts in order to fix. but if it could possibly be caused, along with everything else, by a bad ground, it would be nice if it was fixed as well.

Overall I am in love with the idea of the expedition as an overlanding platform with decent ground clearance once modified. Towing capacity and the surprising efficiency of the 3.5 Ecoboost are nice bonuses. but I want to get it right before i start working on extra stuff like a lift kit, roof rack, tires, bumper replacement, and internal modifications.

thanks if you choose to read all of this and please go easy on me as this is pretty much my first post here.

#3.

Get the blower motor safety recall done also. The parts are now available in the Ford part’s system.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just at the ford dealer and they said parts are still unavailable.

My Ford dealer submitted an order for the new (recall) part months ago - at my request, and I was notified by the service advisor about one month ago that it arrived. I had the work done at the dealer soon thereafter.

Ryan1usu

Reaction score
2016 Expedition EL XLT - Sync 1. Phone button does nothing. Intermittent camera but usually works. Had fan recall done a few days ago at a Ford dealership. Any Ford dealership should work. But I had to go 2 hours away because my local one wasn't helpful.

I'm here to follow the SYNC situation. I can't believe how bad this is for us. Anyone know of possibilities such as board repair on the APIM or even some kind of wire harness or diagram that isolates the truck's speaker wires? Cuz I'm at a loss here. I'm desperate enough to attempt to relocate the SYNC radio to the glovebox and wire power and ground for a separate aftermarket radio if I can figure out how to identify the speaker cables. Tried all the reset tricks. Dealer wants $625 for new APIM and not sure that will fix it. Anyone know if APIM is the source of the problem?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nikolairomanov

Reaction score
2016 Expedition EL XLT - Sync 1. Phone button does nothing. Intermittent camera but usually works. Had fan recall done a few days ago at a Ford dealership. Any Ford dealership should work. But I had to go 2 hours away because my local one wasn't helpful.

I'm here to follow the SYNC situation. I can't believe how bad this is for us. Anyone know of possibilities such as board repair on the APIM or even some kind of wire harness or diagram that isolates the truck's speaker wires? Cuz I'm at a loss here. I'm desperate enough to attempt to relocate the SYNC radio to the glovebox and wire power and ground for a separate aftermarket radio if I can figure out how to identify the speaker cables. Tried all the reset tricks. Dealer wants $625 for new APIM and not sure that will fix it. Anyone know if APIM is the source of the problem?
from the research i have done the APIM may or may not have something to do with the A/C as well, so if you just cut the APIM out it might ruin your ability to control the A/C. I have seen several times people saying that the apim just sucks and breaks often, esp. for sync 1. I have the same problem that you are describing.

first i have been trying to figure out where to APIM is located. I would be willing to bet if its a solder problem i can fix it myself but if its the IC's or anything else on the board probably not. I just have to be able to get to it in order to make it work.

Have seen several reports that people with this issue have had the APIM replaced and nothing happened, also saw one that said it was due to something getting spilled in the cab and shorting something out in the center console?

I took mine apart and saw nothing. It had one owner before me, never met them so i cant tell you how well it was taken care of.

Overall very frustrated with lack of any kind of help with this issue, an the dealer solution seems to be to charge you out the ass for the APIM even when its not the problem...

Ryan1usu

Reaction score
@nikolairomanov

If you're sync 1 like me the unit is attached underneath the center console cubby. It was pretty easy to unbolt and lift up the console to access and remove the APIM from behind the front seats. I cut a 2 inch hole in the cubby and routed the wires for the APIM inside the cubby and put everything back together. So now I can get to it easy. I ebayed and found nothing for APIMs for expedition so I got crazy and got one from a fusion or escape that said it was sync 1. Attempted to program it with forscan. Everything appears fine in forscan. No more error saying can't communicate with the APIM and it took the expedition settings fine. However, still no bluetooth. It appears the USB and 3.5 jack menus have appeared but every time I attempt bluetooth nothing happens. It could be incompatability issues or this used APIM could be bad, too. Not sure. And I'm no forscan expert. I'm shooting from the hip here. I'm going to test some more tonight and attempt all the reset fixes. I'll let you know what happens.

That being said, any chance I could send you my APIM? Or perhaps if you can pull yours and check soldering and let me know how it goes I'd pay you to do mine if it's a soldering issue. That's outside my wheelhouse. And damn, if it is, you could go into business fixing these things. But that's my biggest beef with this situation. I want to know what is failing in these units and whether or not it can be repaired. Supply chains aren't going to loosen any time soon.

I did notice some spilled coffee stains around my shifter but there didn't appear to be anything inside the console when I looked at the wiring. I'll take a closer look tonight. I can confirm that I ran the vehicle a few days with the apim pulled out. HVAC and all else did fine. Sync 1 apim for these expeditions seems to only control bluetooth, usb, audio jack, rear camera, and mytouch voice garbage. So the rear camera didn't work with the old APIM removed but that was the only difference from when it is connected. There is a second apim behind the screen that I understand controls the HVAC stuff. Essentially, when I pulled the APIM, nothing changed. When I programmed the alternate used APIM, more stuff became available, FORSCAN says it is working and not giving an error codes. But still no bluetooth.

I'm tempted to buy this thing. I've done several messages with these guys and they say there unit completely replaces the stereo and hvac apims and controls everything and is designed for sync1. But I've researched seicane and it seems very hit or miss for reliability and not sure how I feel about losing physical buttons to control HVAC. They have a few on the front but to get to the details and control the rear you have to go into the android system and use an app that has pretty clunky looking layout. But $350 is half the price ford wants for an APIM they aren't sure they can get and it would be nice to have android auto and carplay.

Last edited:

ppurdom

Reaction score
I thought I would share my experience. It started before the APIM. I could only open driver door by using inside latch. The other handle did not work. The Fab would not unlock. So, I thought (Cntr-Alt_Delete) well reset the door unlock code keys. Also of a sudden my Fab unlocked door and the handle would open from outside. The code lasted less than a day. However, door worked again (except code).

I think 10 days later (less than 2 weeks)on a road trip the USB stopped working. Tried Pairing phone. That did not work. Aux did not work. I'm pretty certain a menu item went from white the week before to greyed out. Couldn't even enter the mode. Another menu item went into but blank screen and no action. I could not try to pair what's so ever. Forget if that was blank screen or greyed out.

Reading up it was odd, that the Steering wheel controls still worked. The Back-up camera also worked. Of Course Radio and CD player also worked. Very weird that the steering wheel and back-up camera still worked if it was an APIM board failure. Very much like a bit got switched, thus removing a permission for a branch of module controls. I called Ford to try to suggest and get technical information of how their module flow-chart works...No reply. 20+ calls repeated, only frontline starter customer support tech's that had no engineering or advanced coding knowledge.

So frustrated, thought about Ebay convert to 8" TOUCH screen.

Just now at 106K miles got error codes P0022 & P0299. Do I care, should I get rid of expy...is this an electrical voltage noise issue???