How can I check the automatic transmission oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the tube to tranny connect since I'm not studying the website that sells them.....

But guys, think for a sec....a tube is a tube is a tube, right? No one here has thought about a piece of soft copper or flexible alum tubing? Or even 1/4" wall, 3/8" fuel line would also probably work fine once strapped into place. The stick from the junkyard truck will work once you know the proper heights when inserted.

(on the slk forum, someone posted the fluid distance from the bottom of the tranny when stuck in as far as it would go---this was very helpful)

Sorry, workarounds instantly come to mind when I see something like a 200 dipstick.

jeff

Sure, you could put together a homegrown version for far less. The biggest challenge I would imagine would be finding a dipstick of the appropriate length, especially since the length is an unknown variable (unless you know someone that has one of these kits). Of course the same holds true for a million different things and it usually boils down to whether the time invested in the cheaper approach warrants the savings - and that answer is going to vary based on the individual.

OP
OP
sulatek

sulatek

Reaction score
On the issue of the extended dip stick and tube...the shorter version for the Mustang is $100, the longer version for the F150 & Expo is $200. Yes it is a lot to spend, I wish Ford had an OEM option. However as others have pointed out it will certainly make checking and filling much easier. And for those that keep their vehicles until the wheels fall off and then repair that, the old style tube will be handy for the when the old tranny develops a drip.....LOL

---------------

I'm wondering & surprised
Why are car companies make their products so intricate?
They know that maintenance by them costs Alot and people will go for less
And some customers will go out of buying a complex car