How can I remedy an imbalance in my Expy's weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Heavier springs won't help. Heck, you can weld the suspension solid and it won't change anything, the front end will still be light. Ride height or the vehicle "level" is not the issue, it's the deloading of the steering axle which is what happens when excessive weight is placed behind the rear axle.

Remember that session in junior high about levers? :) The rear axle is the fulcrum in this arrangement and the weight behind the fulcrum lifts the other end (the front axle). Like a teeter totter or seesaw.

maxresdefault.jpg

Entirely different than loading weight into the bed of a pickup truck with all the extra weight between the axles.

-- Chuck

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heavier springs won't help. Heck, you can weld the suspension solid and it won't change anything, the front end will still be light. Ride height or the vehicle "level" is not the issue, it's the deloading of the steering axle which is what happens when excessive weight is placed behind the rear axle.

Remember that session in junior high about levers? :) The rear axle is the fulcrum in this arrangement and the weight behind the fulcrum lifts the other end (the front axle). Like a teeter totter or seesaw.

maxresdefault.jpg

Entirely different than loading weight into the bed of a pickup truck with all the extra weight between the axles.

-- Chuck
I was thinking of it from a corner balancing suspension tuning angle but yeah, that doesn't work for shifting bias rear to front when adjusting both sides of the rear. My bad.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Think of a bumper tow vs 5th wheel trailer towed with a pickup. The 5th wheeler tongue weight can be heavier since the pin weight, the weight on the ball, is slightly forward of the rear axle and does not remove weight from the steering axle. Putting 700 pounds on the bumper of any SUV or van will put all the weight behind the rear axle and there is nothing that can be done to put weight back on the steering axle.

Only way to mitigate (but not eliminate) deloading the steering axle is much less weight behind the rear axle. A small trailer will do wonderfully with this load but poses convenience problems towing it everywhere. Cargo van with a motorized lift will put the weight where it belongs.

-- Chuck

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
There is one more possibility but it will either be expensive or look like it should be featured on thereifixedit. A tag axle. They are popular on heavy trucks and I once saw one of the latter category. Someone had a camper made for a long bed pickup in a short bed pickup and mounted an axle from a mobile home under the rear of the camper. I didn't get a good look at how it was mounted.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw a powered device that will lift and stow a 440 pound wheel chair into the back of an SUV including the Expedition and Explorer. Uses up at least the 3d seat area for sure. Still putting weight behind the rear axle but not as far. (Darned if I can find it again.)

-- Chuck

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Harmar is similar to the lift I saw. If the mobility chair ( I guess that means a powered wheel chair) is under the 350# limit for the chair lift and the chair will fit in the space formerly occupied by the 3d row seats -- and these seats can be spared -- this looks worth exploring. Keeps everything secured and out of the weather

The wheel thingie looks like a PITA to drive around with all the time.

-- Chuck