How do I ... Fix crossed threads in hole...

Discussion in 'How To Section' started by hawkman71, Dec 1, 2018.

1. hawkman71

hawkman71 Full Access Members

Installing new struts on my 2011 Expedition EL Limited. One of the bolts will not thread in the way it should. If I take bolt to the other side, it does thread in...

I don't know how it happened but it did. It's a Saturday night. My farming friends have SAE sets but no metric. Lowe's doesn't have them large enough. The socket used on this bolt is a 22mm, I think, but I don't know the bolt diameter. It's very close to a 5/8.

If the bolt used was a standard 1/4-20 bolt or something, I'd cut a groove on each side of a new bolt and use it to clean out the hole threads. I should mention that tere is no nut but the hole is integral to the hub.

2. CHRIS HODGE

CHRIS HODGE Full Access Members

Sounds like threads are messed up, need to get a metric tap/die set and clean out the one hole. Put a little grease on tap to hold onto any metal.

3. CHRIS HODGE

CHRIS HODGE Full Access Members

Tractor Supply may have larger taps if you have one nearby.

4. hawkman71

I struck out so far on finding metric stuff. Local hardware store told me they had metric up to that size. Drove over. Wrong. Nothing close. Woman.

Tractor Supppy! Good idea. I forgot about them and we have one nearby. Also, Fastenal maybe?

Thanks, everyone.

5. sjwelds

sjwelds Full Access Members

Long shot, run the bolt through from the back side, clean up the threads, then put it on the right way?

6. hawkman71

Bought a tap from Fastenal. 16M. Thread count 2. They do not carry metric dies! What's up with that?

Found a guy who had metric set. He lent me his 16mm die. Everything worked like a charm.

7. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

I bought a metric set from Sears way back in early 70's. Back then I wrenched Japanese motorcycles, so Sae wasn't even needed. Even to this day, I own only about 4-5 Sae taps and dies. These SUVs along with everything from 1985 on is metric threads.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk