How does the chevy outsell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it was dramatically superior regarding seating, comfort and tech. Not even a comparison.

Thats because its a full generation behind. In ~6 months tahoe will again leapfrog expy's. All we can hope is that Ford doesnt sit on the expy for 12 years and let GM eat its lunch all over again.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats because its a full generation behind. In ~6 months tahoe will again leapfrog expy's. All we can hope is that Ford doesnt sit on the expy for 12 years and let GM eat its lunch all over again.

When has gm ever has better interior comfort and packaging than ford? Though seat comfort can be subjective, noone could argue fords space advantage ever since gen 1. Even the 2021 tahoe doesnt have an advantage, it has the same 2nd row space, and less third row space. And none of that even matters if the seats are flat as boards.

To compete with the gms, all ford has to do is update its interior(sync 4 is on the way), improve its driving dynamics(retune shocks, air suspension and better steering), add the diesel, and resculpt the seats and interior trim (more usuable space) and its good to go.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When has gm ever has better interior comfort and packaging than ford? Though seat comfort can be subjective, noone could argue fords space advantage ever since gen 1. Even the 2021 tahoe doesnt have an advantage, it has the same 2nd row space, and less third row space. And none of that even matters if the seats are flat as boards.

The 2021 Tahoe has more room behind the first row and has 6.5 more sq ft of cargo space behind the 3rd. But sure. The Expedition has 1" more third row legroom.

Either way, if space is your main requirement, the suburban beats all of them.

To compete with the gms, all ford has to do is update its interior(sync 4 is on the way), improve its driving dynamics(retune shocks, air suspension and better steering), add the diesel, and resculpt the seats and interior trim (more usuable space) and its good to go.

You should tell Ford thats all it takes as they havent had any luck in beating the GMC triplets for over a decade.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would but i dnt think ford listens to me lol, if they did they wouldve done the following:

-Stiffened the structure/body mounts
-added a center armrest for the 2nd row bench
-added sunshades
-added ventilated sec row seats

But they did an overall good job with the 4th gen with some mild complaints. Honestly, theres not much ford can do to beat the gm utes. Jeep got the closest to beating ford and their explorer, which the the gm equivalent jn that segment, with the redesigned grand cherokee, which was a great product, but then ford released the explorer, and, lets just say the lead didnt last long. The explorer wasnt even considered a great product upon release and yet the cherokee stopped outselling it.

Point being gms utes are solidified in their position. But ford actually made gm work to improve their product exponentially.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would but i dnt think ford listens to me lol, if they did they wouldve done the following:

-Stiffened the structure/body mounts
-added a center armrest for the 2nd row bench
-added sunshades
-added ventilated sec row seats

But they did an overall good job with the 4th gen with some mild complaints. Honestly, theres not much ford can do to beat the gm utes. Jeep got the closest to beating ford and their explorer, which the the gm equivalent jn that segment, with the redesigned grand cherokee, which was a great product, but then ford released the explorer, and, lets just say the lead didnt last long. The explorer wasnt even considered a great product upon release and yet the cherokee stopped outselling it.

Point being gms utes are solidified in their position. But ford actually made gm work to improve their product exponentially.

Couldnt agree more. I would NEVER have considered an expedition until this generation.

I could be wrong but doesnt the explorer have 3 rows?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more. I would NEVER have considered an expedition until this generation.

Yes, Explorer has 3 rows.
3 pass in 2nd row and 2 in rear.
The way it should be. 2 in the 2nd with console is dumb and inconvenient if you carry people..at least over 2-3 people.

I don't like fwd or AWD or transverse engines but I think a black or silver Explorer with black leather is in my future when they commonly get down to 4500-7500.

I like the size better and can still haul as many as my Navigator.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The jgc has been the explorers top competitor since the early 90s. When the explorer went from rugged truck to minivan in 2010, they compared it to the jgc since at that time, crossover and suv lines were still somewhat blurry. Jgc is unibody like the 11 explorer but on a rwd platform, not fwd like the explorer.

Idk why ford tried to market the '11 explorer to the jgc base though they were built fundmentally different. My guess is the chrysler broadened the appeal of the jgc by making models that could fill different niches, which ford didnt do with the explorer.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score

That 3rd row in the Explorer is for pigmies only.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me the 6.2L V8 in no way compares to the performance of the GEN II 3.5L Ecoboost
I have driven a number of Denali's & Escalades at the company I am semi-retired from
They are not nearly as refined & powerful as the EXPY especially when tuned
SO for me it is a no brainer
Have owned 7 ecoboost vehicles
Currently have a 2018 EXPY & 2020 Explorer ST both tuned with 5 star calibrations
75 Year old semi-retired automotive engineer & lovin the performance of these engines

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plugin Hybrid Expedition was what I wanted. Couldn’t wait that long. But yeah the plugin hybrid would be a big deal to many in my region. I had my wifes plugin 12-15 mile EV range for a week hauling kids and used zero gas. The Expedition that would be a big deal. My solar on my house covers our Electric cost was break even on my install cost yr three. Its been nothing but free power since.