How I Fixed Code P0401 - 2004 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenerator

Reaction score
The service engine soon (SES) indicator illuminated, so went to my local Autozone to have the code read. The scan returned "Code 0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow". They wanted to sell me a new EGR valve, but I declined and went home to investigate myself before shelling out any cash.

This is what I found. Notice the L-shaped, disintegrating vacuum line. It was so degraded that it had fallen off on its own. One end connects to a hard line that runs to the back towards the firewall, the other connects to one leg of a tee. The middle part of the tee connects to a solenoid and the other leg of the tee connects to a 2" piece of hose which connects to a hard line that travels under the air intake towards the firewall on the battery side. Not sure, but it seems like this could be the main source of vacuum for the system.
IMG_2977 - Copy.JPG

A little closer view.
IMG_2975.JPG
Back to Autozone for some hose. The only thing they had that was close to the ID of the original hose was some fuel line. They found a little piece about 6" long in the back and just gave it to me. Thanks AZ man. Fuel line is quite a bit stiffer than vacuum line, so I put a tiny bit of silicone grease in each end with a q-tip to help it slip together. While I was there I replaced the 2" piece on the other side of the tee as well.
Here's a after-fix photo
IMG_2983.JPG

I had noticed a few months ago that the engine was idling rough. I also noticed the gas mileage was slowly decreasing, the left front hub would occasionally clatter and the HVAC air would not change from defrost to the vents until 5-7 minutes after the vent button was pressed. I suspected that there was a vacuum leak somewhere, but hadn't really had the time to investigate. I'm glad the SES light forced me to give it some attention because it runs so much smoother and has more power now that it's fixed. And, no more SES light!
Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone having vacuum challenges too.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great troubleshooting on your part ! Yes, that is a common vacuum leak spot, and that IS the vacuum line to your dash vent control module.

-Mike

gLFNrN.jpg

Lee_H

Reaction score
KIMG0298[1].JPG

This is my truck from Over heat after spark plug change. I'm currently have a code P0401 from the computer and wasn't sure where to start. Thank goodness for your post because something this simple I most likely would have missed. Thanks again. Do you remember the hose size, maybe something like 3/16 or 1/4" or was it more like a metric 4mm or 6mm size?

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Great post. Thank You. I just went out to see what it looked like on my BEATER and I can't see it with all the stuff in the way but the next time I'm in that area with parts removed I will look.

OP
OP
Kenerator

Kenerator

Reaction score
Thanks neilh - Glad you found the info helpful. I’ve received valuable assistance from this forum. I am glad to have something to contribute.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1