How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smith627

Reaction score
2004 XLS (Flintstone model) - perfect for my use - Costco groceries. 19,200 miles. Bought new in 2005.

Mr. Hall, is that a typo on the miles?
If not, then that might be a record for the lowest miles on a 16 yr. old Expedition!

Tom Aldridge

Reaction score
2004 Eddie Bauer 5.4 My cousin bought it new in 2004 and I inherited it in 2018 with 42,000 miles. Currently has 46,000.
First Ford I've had since 1982, a 1969 P code Galaxie, 428CI Police Interceptor, that was the best Ford I ever had.

Responses seem to have problem/service history so...

-replaced failed module, RCM, and front passenger side pre-tensioner
-replaced failed module, TPM
-needs both rear HVAC door motors
-both fixed rear quarter glass panels are leaking at top
-whining 9.75 diff 40-55 mph under drive but not coast or float...Red Line 58205 oil helped it a good bit so it's not bad. (Per service docs, Ford rebuilt diff (gears, bearings, etc) 3 times, first time at 6K miles, but the 4th time it was out of warranty and they refused, despite the history. Remained quiet about 10K miles after each rebuild.... I'd have 'asked' for a complete new diff after the 2nd failure....)
-has DTC P0456 small evap leak. Not the usual suspects so need to investigate further.

Everything except normal service items and those noted above are as delivered from factory.

CLMA

Reaction score
2004 XLT / 5.4L (2 valve) / 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio / (4X4 w/AdvanceTrac) / Heavy Duty Towing / Dual Air-Conditioning
Mileage: 388,703
These vehicles will last several years as long as their required maintenance is kept up (i.e., engine & transmission oil & filter changes, engine coolant change, etc).
Typically, they just need wear and tear items changed out (i.e., tires, wipers, battery, etc).
If you keep up their maintenance they will easily give you 25 plus years of good service.
I greatly enjoy using this vehicle because it has rear independent suspension, it is safe, it can comfortably seat up to 8 adults, it can easily go off-road and it can tow more than 6,000 pounds and I am saving the monthly payments of a new Expedition.
I expect my 2004 XLT to go beyond 500,000 miles before it retires.

razrback

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 EB, 4.6, 2wd with 294K.

Best vehicle I’ve ever owned, she was my everyday vehicle until July 2020. She’s semi retired now, but still looks and drives great. I keep my vehicles well maintained and she’s never let me down.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '04 has 194,000 on it and normal maintenance, 3K oil changes with either Castrol dino or Motorcraft semi 5-20. Only past issues that were replaced are the wiper motor, alternator, signal flasher, front and rear blend door motors. And changed the heater blower resistor a couple of times. The fuel gauge quit a few years ago so just do the mileage thing. The gauge issue is on the list for repair this year along with the rocker panels.

Reaction score
2006 Expedition- 4X4 EB-579672.. only real issue are the plug design -I change mine every 40K-and the Timing Chain guide-I replaces the plastic garbage with a racing aluminum guide.... been a good truck so far!! Had 800k on my 1996 Bronco that was caught in a garage fire-hope the 06 will do as well...4C92A667-926D-4AE7-BC73-A225CFE9B81F.jpeg 5E9AD0AB-FFD3-40B3-97B6-1A04F8A86CA6.jpeg

smith627

Reaction score
That is amazing!
Never heard of a ford gas engine with that many miles on original engine.
Has the transmission been replaced or is it original?

Reaction score
That is amazing!
Never heard of a ford gas engine with that many miles on original engine.
Has the transmission been replaced or is it original?

see response above.. that was an oops... only real thing I swear by is Royal Purple Synthetic... I’m in the South so it’s normally hot or warm... don’t have to deal with much cold.. I’ve had the motor out 2x for the timing chain guide-quick look see at wear... pretty darn clean—

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mr. Hall, is that a typo on the miles?
If not, then that might be a record for the lowest miles on a 16 yr. old Expedition!

Thank you for addressing me as 'Mr', but Don is sufficient. And, yes, that is the correct mileage.
As posted, the Expedition is used for grocery shopping. My grandkids have used it a few times to move
items to and from college.

In 2005, a friend of mine was a Ford salesman for the local dealer. The model XLS is not popular among the SUV
crowd. To enhance the sale, the dealer added a billet grill, sport tires, Nerf bars (running boards), and reduced the
price about $8K to around $22K. When I saw it on the lot, the sale banner was draped over the vehicle,
bird droppings were evident on the roof, and hood, the tires were half-flat, but it was the perfect vehicle for my needs.
I wanted a column shift, and a bench front seat for max seating (9).

At 88, my travels are quite limited, and if need be, my '92 vette, and my wife's '06 Mustang GT are available.

Last edited: