How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smith627

Reaction score
Don, thanks for your response.
Very interesting history on your very low mileage Expedition.
I like your two "back up" vehicles to your Expedition! :)

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my 2003 in November 2002. It now has 260K. Did heads at 174K, and just finished rebuilding the engine and transmission at 253K. Got 7K on the rebuild. As for longevity, I find it is starting to get difficult finding parts. It doesn't appear there was a lot of after market upgrades on the modular 5.4 (2V). Had to replace the cams, the lobes were worn, and only Comp Cam had close to a stock replacement. Needed to by the cam gears for the front since I had the one piece cam/cam gear units.

Mechanically, it is in good shape. Body took a little work. With the whole front end off, I had to replace the radiator support. Didn't realize, but my out rocker panels were gone as well. A few cross members under the floor and back in front of the rear bumper where the sheet metal comes together behind the rear wheels needed some rust clean up. I think I have another 10 years, it is my daily driver, so that is about 150K left.

Here are a few in process photos.

20190223_155722.jpg

IMG_5439.jpg

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

dano

Reaction score
I've got a 2005 Limited, she's lookin a little worse for the wear. Its got 193,780 miles on it. Needs a bunch of work, but she still gets me point A to B. Never had the spark plugs changed! YIKES!

dano

Reaction score
BlackCoffee, I noticed on my 05 that the lower radiator support is needing replaced. It seemed odd to me that its rotting out on the passenger side. My rocker panels are going south as well. I was going to try the expanding foam repair for them, still may,unless I get a newer unit. Other than the rust, I've got to repair the a/c, timing chain, phasers, and associated parts, spark plugs and coils. So she's not in too bad of shape...lol

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BlackCoffee, I noticed on my 05 that the lower radiator support is needing replaced. It seemed odd to me that its rotting out on the passenger side. My rocker panels are going south as well. I was going to try the expanding foam repair for them, still may,unless I get a newer unit. Other than the rust, I've got to repair the a/c, timing chain, phasers, and associated parts, spark plugs and coils. So she's not in too bad of shape...lol

The metal pieces are not that expensive. I think the radiator support was under $300. I had to drill out the spot welds, get new mounting hardware, and take everything off the front. It wasn't that bad. The rocker panels were another story. Cost me $3K at the local body shop. I took off all interior trim and the inner fender liners. They took off the doors and welded in the new rocker panels. They were $165 a piece. The nice thing is that when you take off the front radiator support, working on the engine is easy.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Ditto, but instead of putting a stamped POS back in, I fabbed a little stainless I-Beam replacement, added cutouts and mounts for existing stuff. Was probably even in cost, mine is much stronger and more than capable of supporting the Warn up front as its tied directly into the frame. I'll snap some pics next time I'm in...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Scott Hunter

Reaction score
I just turned 210000 on my 2004 that I bought in 2003. Had to rebuild the tranny at 75k and replaced the rear A/C blower twice, but other than routine maintenance, it's been a dream.

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2006 Expedition- 4X4 EB-579672.. only real issue are the plug design -I change mine every 40K-and the Timing Chain guide-I replaces the plastic garbage with a racing aluminum guide.... been a good truck so far!! Had 800k on my 1996 Bronco that was caught in a garage fire-hope the 06 will do as well...View attachment 34489 View attachment 34490

Wow! Now I'm truly inspired to continue my work on my '03!

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
I got a very well cared for 2005 about a year ago. 99,*** miles on it (somewhere between 300 and 600). Just needed a few things. It is a southern vehicle, never in any heavy salt areas, so no rust! 4x4 XLT. Has the two individual center seats instead of a bench, loaded! No sunroof, but don't know if one was offered that year (and I don't care for one!). Main issue is it was giving a code for multiple misfires, almost like a spark knock when pulling hard. I knew that was the spark plugs. Cost me $600 to have those changed locally (dealer wanted more). Driver's heated seat inop, but not concerned about that. Have the dreaded front AC door flop... replaced it myself with a genuine Ford part, but STILL does it... guess I got a bad blend door motor?? Definitely the replaced part doing the same thing. The trans blew a snap ring only a few months after I got it, so $3500 for a trans rebuild. I paid $8K for it, "all in". Dealer who had it was asking $8500, I made the offer of $8K all taxes and fees included, and he took it. Was looking for a 2010 or so, but this thing looked so good in the photos I had to go see it. Looked much better than most of the 2008-2010 models I'd been looking at with 150-180K on them, with asking prices in the $9-12K range! I'm satisfied with the purchase even after the trans rebuild. Towing didn't kill the trans, shop said the failed snap ring is relatively common.

I bought this to tow my camper, not a daily driver. Drive it at least every six weeks just for upkeep, take camper out 2-3 times a year. Considered a motor home, but this is more versatile and we have room if we want to go out with a group of friends or pick up something large we don't want in the back of a truck. I have a work truck (home repairs) and my wife has a 2013 Escape.

Ozzy

Reaction score
2005 EB Edition, just crossed 235,300 today.

I bought it just over a year ago, paid a little more than I should have, and it’s had some issues. But I’m not ready to give it up by any means. I love this truck. Through this forum, plus the wealth of YouTube info, I’ve managed to fix most of the issues myself saving my countless hundreds.

I had a 2002 Explorer Sport 2WD purchased new, and had it for 12 years until it was totaled. After that incident, I went out of my way to pick up a 99 Explorer 4D 4WD. This Expy is the upgrade from the 99.