How Many Solenoids should there be for the 4wd system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green123

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, i brought my truck into the dealership to resolve the 4h and 4l indicators from flashing. The mechanic couldn't figure out the problem, but mentioned that the 4wd system is gone.

I researched into the problem and discovered that sometimes the solenoids become faulty, and is the reason 4wd wont engage. So i opened to the hood to have a look. From what i read online, im looking for two solenoids, one for the 4wd, and one for the 2wd that are located behind the battery. The only problem is i could only find one solenoid. From what it appears, theres a spot for another solenoid, and below was a clipped tube. Im assuming this is the vacuum tube

tl/dr How many solenoids should there be for the 4wd system

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 solenoids?

AFAIK, there is only 1 vacuum IWE solenoid that disengages the hub actuators. (vacuum present, hubs disengaged. No vacuum, hubs are engaged). The bigger tube from the IWE lead to the actuators. Not sure about the smaller tube.. maybe a vent?

As for the 4x4 indicators.. Maybe you have issues with the transfercase motor, or wiring issues below... This is something I have not experienced, so I am of little help here..

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
minegame has it right...

IWE Soleniod is the only one in the loop... there are two check valves.

In my years of ford 4WD, i've never seen the 1997 up IWE setup trigger a flashing 4WD light...

More info:

Everything You Wanted To Know About The IWE System....And Then Some! - F150online Forums

Normally a flashing light indicates an issue with the 4WD control between the PCM (powertrain control module) and the Transfer Case Motor...

Did a scan gauge or code reader capture any P18XX or C17XX to C19XX codes?