Blend door actuators - how many up front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still sorting through write-ups on my 2003 EB, how many blend doors actuators are in the dash? I replaced one up front, and both in the back. The EATC now shows 2267 code, which according to the maintenance manual, reads “(RH) upper blend door failure or short.” The clicking still remains in the dash, and warm air blows to the passenger side, when cold air is set to auto (both sides).

Is there more than one blend door actuator in the dash?

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
There are two actuators.
See some of the many YouTube videos on this topic.
Search phrase on YouTube:
expedition blend door front

Last edited:
OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Elvis. I have scoured the YouTube, and I do see the other one toward the bottom at the center console. I’m presuming that would be the lower blend door actuator.

With that, I did replace the upper blend door actuator, but my EATC code referenced above still showed upper failure. So I was kind of stumped. I went back together with Motorcraft parts, but I suppose that new upper could have failed prematurely.

Or maybe there’s an obstruction in the blend door itself, though not sure how I could see in there to verify without a borescope. Any ideas?

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you. I had the clicking sound in the rear.
I don't really care about heat in the rear. What I really need, living here in Florida, is the AC to the rear seat from the ceiling for my 77 lb Greyhound who rides in the rear seat.
So I just unplugged the actuator and handset everything for full AC only.

With no power to the actuator there is no clicking.

A few weeks later I got some clicking in the front on a particular setting so I just set it in a position where it doesn't click. Fortunately it's on AC.

Mine is a 2004 2 valve with 82K miles. In 5 years ownership this is the only repair that I've had to do. At the time I bought it I didn't realize that I was lucking out on the 2 vs the 3 valve motor.

You said you scoured YouTube. In case you haven't yet, search this form for the many threads on the actuators.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I like your KISS concept…in the Midwest, I’ll need heat and AC. I did replace the 2 actuators in the rear, and it works as it should now. I just need the passenger front to not blow hot when AC is commanded.

Good call in the 2v as well! At 260,000 miles, I just swapped in a reman’d 5.4 2v, and she purrs like a kitten. I just picked up this EB in May, and all-in I’ll be about $10k, but everything works (almost…), no rust or corrosion, and the last stop will be my PDR guy. I lucked out on this find.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good copy and tip. I’m about to break down and procure a smoke machine so I can stop chasing my tail. No dice at HF, so I’ll try the Amazon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett