How much brake pad left for the rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just check my 2019 XLT 4WD brake pads and the rear are down to 4-5 mm. I put on around 28k miles mostly high way and I'm shocked that the pads are down. The front pads are still around 9mm. What do you recommend for replacement pads? I'm going to change the pads only since the rotors are still good. TIA.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone has their own preferences for type, brand, etc. I'm running Akebono ProACT all around and am happy with them. The Motorcrafts that were on there previously were good also, but I can't tell you what specific pads they were as they were installed by the previous owner.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the below Hawk LTS pads and couldn't be happier. The bite and stopping power was so much better that I immediately replaced the fronts with the same Hawk LTS pads a few hundred miles later. To be honest, the rears made a huge difference and not so much the fronts. What's very much different besides the Hawk pad compound is that the rear pads have a much larger contact patch area than the Ford OE pads. I was at 3mm and on the fence as well. I measured the replacement OE pads brand new out of the box and they are about 10mm so if you look at it this way, at 4-5mm your a little more than half way worn down (say 75% to be safe since you cant go to zero mm). You just have to be sure there is really 4-5mm at the inner and outer pads since sometimes pads wear uneven if the slides are dirty and its usually the inner pads that get thinner quicker. Also - doing a 4 wheel brake fluid flush is a good idea for a better feeling pedal and can extend the life of the calipers and parts. Brake fluid absorbs a lot of water over time and many manufacturers only go 4 years between brake fluid changes. The domestic cars never took up on this but a brake flush will help with feel and I'd strongly recommend it if the vehicles is at about that age.

Attachments

• Annotation Hawk 2021-12-08 191006.jpg
    Annotation Hawk 2021-12-08 191006.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
K

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the below Hawk LTS pads and couldn't be happier. The bite and stopping power was so much better that I immediately replaced the fronts with the same Hawk LTS pads a few hundred miles later. To be honest, the rears made a huge difference and not so much the fronts. What's very much different besides the Hawk pad compound is that the rear pads have a much larger contact patch area than the Ford OE pads. I was at 3mm and on the fence as well. I measured the replacement OE pads brand new out of the box and they are about 10mm so if you look at it this way, at 4-5mm your a little more than half way worn down (say 75% to be safe since you cant go to zero mm). You just have to be sure there is really 4-5mm at the inner and outer pads since sometimes pads wear uneven if the slides are dirty and its usually the inner pads that get thinner quicker. Also - doing a 4 wheel brake fluid flush is a good idea for a better feeling pedal and can extend the life of the calipers and parts. Brake fluid absorbs a lot of water over time and many manufacturers only go 4 years between brake fluid changes. The domestic cars never took up on this but a brake flush will help with feel and I'd strongly recommend it if the vehicles is at about that age.
Thanks for the replies. I use those brake measure tool and my rear pads are around 4-5 mm. Will order the HawkLTS.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience, rear pads wear much, much slower than front. I believe they might even be spec'd as a thinner pad. I imagine you might even get 10-20k miles out of 4-5mm, depending on how much you break. But, I doubt you'll regret just replacing them now!

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 mm is the minimum pad thickness.
I have Wagner OEX1790A pads on the rear. They are good, but they do create a lot of dust.

OP
OP
K

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 mm is the minimum pad thickness.
I have Wagner OEX1790A pads on the rear. They are good, but they do create a lot of dust.
I was searching on Rock Auto and decide to buy Motocraft OEM again. They are made in Italy and the price is decent.

Kim Tidrow

Reaction score
Does anyone else have premature rear brake pad wear? I bought a 2020 max with 12,000 miles. This was a Ford executive car from Dearborn. I had the oil changed (17000 mi) at the Ford dealer and they reported my inner rear brake pads were almost worn out. I returned to the dealer to have the brakes checked (20250 mi) and the pads had already ruined the rotors. I paid for rotors and pads at 20250 miles. Is this normal? A lot of my driving is highway.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Limited had new pads installed a little over 30k miles. My fronts are being replaced next week with 59k mikes. Never owned a vehicle before where the rears wear faster than the fronts.