How much did it cost you guys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear JEx....when my 03 EB began slipping at 177K, I dropped the pan and NOTHING was there....perfect fluid for mileage, no debris, spring intact....nothing obvious....OK, end of my tranny skillset so I parked it and bought the new one......my guess is your outcome will be a LOT less expensive<LOL>!!

jeff

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have owned so many Toyota’s all taken to 300,000 miles with zero issues I just can’t jump on any train that says negative things about their longevity and reliability. That being said, I just traded my Land Cruiser for the EL, and I really really love my EL so far. More comfy, quieter cabin, way more creature comforts, way more power and much better fuel mileage not to mention the acres of room inside. If I can get 300,000 mostly trouble free miles from the EL, I’m sold and I’ll probably buy another one. If I end up replacing stuff I shouldn’t be replacing before then, I’ll probably switch back to a Lexus LX570 200 series. But I’m hoping to love this EL for a while. So far, absolutely no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm a moderator on a very active Toyota forum and up until the latest iteration of the Tacoma you're pretty spot on. The 6-speed manual from the 05-15 trucks is notchy and end up with a chirping throw out bearing due to it riding on an aluminum shaft, but otherwise is good. The auto in there is rock solid.

On the new Tacomas, Toyota is still trying to sort out the shifting as it tends to hunt for gears. The aftermarket stepped in with a transmission programmer well before Toyota did, which I thought was telling.

As for OP's issue, don't discount the benefits of a full transmission fluid flush with a new screen. I just did that at 149k miles and it fixed a weird 1-2 shift I was getting on cold mornings. The fluid that came out was a bit burnt after so many miles and unknown use from before I owned the truck.

It would be a shame to take on the debt/quirks/issues of a different vehicle over something that could be fixed for a few hundred bucks.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve had a new tranny filter sitting behind the third row for a while, think I’ll take it to the shop and get that swapped with a fluid change

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear JEx....when my 03 EB began slipping at 177K, I dropped the pan and NOTHING was there....perfect fluid for mileage, no debris, spring intact....nothing obvious....OK, end of my tranny skillset so I parked it and bought the new one......my guess is your outcome will be a LOT less expensive<LOL>!!

jeff

It must have had a valve body issue. Im going to have my filter and fluid changed and see if it gets better. Yesterday i let the truck idle for ten minutes before i drove it and got no rev. It’s always had pretty hard downshifts.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MJP2 I’m officially “following” you now since I have another toyota brother here [emoji16]. Stay in touch...I may go back to my TOYs if this Expedition disappoints me. A transmission failure before 200,000 would certainly qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my tranny does take a crap i wouldn’t be too disappointed IMO anything around 120k To 150k is a good run for a modern transmission. The older 4 speeds had less going on I’m sure they last longer than the 6 speeds. everything is made to be replaced more often today.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 08 has the quirky 1-2 and 2-1 shift too. You say there's a TSB to fix?

Problem is my dealership charges $100 for a reflash IIRC...

So the 09 and up were the 6R80, correct? Prior to that was 6R75?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 08 has the quirky 1-2 and 2-1 shift too. You say there's a TSB to fix?

Problem is my dealership charges $100 for a reflash IIRC...

So the 09 and up were the 6R80, correct? Prior to that was 6R75?

Yes 07-08 were 6R75 and 09 up are 6R80 they are the same tranny other than the 80 has a tow haul program mode. After looking into it Ford calls the replacement tranny a 6R75/80 meaning they sell the same tranny for both replacements.

Last edited:

lxrick

Reaction score
Hi,
I had a chat with some guys from ZF here in Germany and with my local "US Car" Dealer.

According to them (both!) it is crucial to change the transmission fluid every 40.000 Miles to prevent damages!
No matter what Ford says! For BMW with a similar gearbox it is offficially 100.000 km but only because the BMW-car is much lighter than our Expy and better cooled.

After changing fluids immediatly just relearn shift points..here 2 very useful vids about it.

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAsoqmqhdM
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWMliD_3s3o

Good luck, Alex

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seeing as you are in "research" mode, check the price and warranty of a Ford reman unit. Not one rebuilt at the dealer. More like a Jasper unit.

They have a good warranty and the warranty is honored at any Ford dealer in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmtodd1973