How much was it new? Dealing with an insurance claim...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the one time this happened to me, this is the advice I got from a police officer friend: "Find a local comparable replacement. that is, if you bought a car just like yours right before the accident, what would it cost you? compare miles, condition, etc. 'as close to yours as possible' is the key. if you have to start talking about taking them to court, be sure to say you will include your costs in the settlement. Insurance companies don't like local juries." this worked great for me; their offer went from $700 for my wife's totaled chevy to $3200 for a replacement.

full disclosure: it helped greatly that their client was totally at fault. a commercial delivery driver on a shortcut through a residential neighborhood hit her broadside. If I'd known then what i know now, I would have sued them into sudden wealth for us.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So our 2014 Expedition got t-boned and flipped a few weeks back. My wife is recovering, but The Beast is a goner. Now I am negotiating with the insurance company on a settlement value. They have compared ours to Expeditions that do not have the same options. Ours had the moonroof/Nav/running board package. The others do not, but one has 20” wheels and remote start. Does anyone know how much the 20” wheels and remote start were worth when new? I have our original sticker so I know what the value of our options was, but need to know what the wheels and remote start were worth. I am sure this question is a long shot, but thanks in advance for any assistance.

View attachment 38436

View attachment 38437

Since your wife was injured, you should not be negotiating the replacement cost of the vehicle.

You should hire an attorney that would handle the matter, including damages for your wife’s injury.

You’re wasting your time trying to get a few extra $$$.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most folks haven't a clue as to dealing with Ins Co's. They think if the other persons agent is "nice" and their car is fixed, then they are being looked out for...................TV does that to people, makes 'em stupid. Don't believe me, listen to the WORDS of the Consumer Cellular TV commercial with all the old people...not a single fact during the entire commercial. Now, we're full of stupid people, that don't even know they are stupid!

Call your agent and have them deal with the other ins agent, in injury accidents YOU NEVER talk to the other guys agent, EVER because they will glean info from you. You are not trained in keeping to a minimum of words and regardless of how big your ego is, you will make mistakes.

Next, do what the smart guy above me says and see an attorney. You prob only want what is fair....but their decisions may force you to securing an attorney b/c they weren't being fair. They will also pay for the attorney.

You have in excess of tens of thousands of dollars in both apparent damages that you can see and non-apparent in your wife's injuries which while they may get better, what's going to happen at 65 years old, will it begin hurting again?

I used to road race motorcycles in the 70's. At Pocono #7 one Spring, a rookie mistake by another racer caused an abrupt line change mid corner & me being "boyonbike" took up a new hobby- Flying, we parted ways when I high-sided.....I hit hard but not "hospital hard"....bruised sternum to center of back. That injury is causing issues today........nearly 46 yrs later.

jeff

TDBDLB

Reaction score
In the past when I had vehicle stolen and not happy with ins co offer, a relative in the adjustment business told me to request ins co find a replacement vehicle of same condition and options. The could not and gave me another $1k. Not sure if this will work in CA or your policy.

TDBDLB

Reaction score
Also try calling your State Insurance Commissioner office, sometimes they will help get ins co to reconsider.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm, thank you for the reply. You actually gave me some interesting advice and may not know it—patience and persistence. We don’t need to settle quickly either, heck I can wait them out to get my price. We have already bought another Expedition and paid cash. So now I am waiting for their money to roll in, or trickle in anyway.

Meet “New Doug”, because Old Doug (The Beast) is dead (Thor reference—LOL). My wife hates calling it New Doug and is gong to call it Thor. On the other hand, my kids think the new name is hilarious. We found a low mile 2017 to replace The Beast with.

View attachment 38438
You're in the EcoBoost now, get the oil catch can and the vent hole for the intercooler, etc. Oil and spark plug changes are your friends now.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice looking New Doug. I always wanted that burnt orange with the King Ranch trim. Seen it once but from a Lithia dealer in Oregon. Heard many a bad stories about Lithia dealers, so let her go.