How to fix creak from rear tailgate area?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texevora

Reaction score
I have a super annoying creak coming from the rear tailgate area whenever I go over bumps.

See this video for the area in question: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fp3PEy8ea5WfU4Z3A

The noise is coming from underneath that sliver of carpeted area, as it seems slightly loose.

Has anyone experienced this and know how to get rid of that sound? Does the black plastic cover come off? I tried tugging at it but it seems pretty solidly connected and I didn't want to break anything.

Any tips/pointers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it's gotten worse over time and it's SUPER annoying.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I fixed that same sound last year. The black plastic cover just pulls off. There are several clips underneath that will pop free with some force. You might be able to find the creak from there. I ended up removing the whole compartment from the bumper to the third row. It required removing the jack and everything around it, and there were a couple of bolts that hold the compartment down. I hit all the contact points with silicone lubricant and put it back together. The creak hasn’t returned. I’ll see if I took any pictures when I had it disassembled.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had the same thing and also a creaking from the back window area. Did the same as above for the floor squeaking. It helped for a while but had to redo it.

I also had more of a creaking sound when going over speed bumps. Ended up being the back window. I had to adjust the catch so it would close tighter. Try grabbing the wind deflector above the back window and push up and down on it. If it’s making the sound you’re talking about the window side catch needs adjusted to close just a tad tighter.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same noise at a similar location. Dealer fixed it under warranty. It involved removing the compartment like Squark mentioned.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So open end of a box will wrack ie move these single hatch wagons all have floating hatches that lay over a opening that moves and tweaks out of shape with un even road surface. Every wagon body does it unless you have a split tailgate which was purposely designed as a cross brace to stiffen the open end of the box/body.
Every wagon I have had needed to gasket and hatch surfaces cleaned or they all will generate some kind chafing noise.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like plastic rubbing on plastic. You could try spraying some silicon lube, or Armor All in there

OP
OP
T

texevora

Reaction score
I was able to pull off the plastic trim as others suggested above to address the squeaking carpeted floor piece. Turns out the creaking came from the plastic legs rubbing against the metal frame. Some dry spray lube fixed that immediately. Unfortunately that didn't solve the creaking problem, turns out it was/is the hatch glass/wind deflector area creaking, as Bow512 pointed out.

@Bow512, that's EXACTLY the main issue causing the sound (the wind deflector creaking when you push up/down), less so what i originally posted about. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by adjusting the catch so it closes tighter? The glass and the deflector move with each other when you open the hatch glass, so i'm not sure what you were recommending as far as adjustment is concerned.

I’ve had the same thing and also a creaking from the back window area. Did the same as above for the floor squeaking. It helped for a while but had to redo it.

I also had more of a creaking sound when going over speed bumps. Ended up being the back window. I had to adjust the catch so it would close tighter. Try grabbing the wind deflector above the back window and push up and down on it. If it’s making the sound you’re talking about the window side catch needs adjusted to close just a tad tighter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

texevora

Reaction score
To close the loop on this, the window catch adjustment was the culprit. I used a crescent wrench to loosen the retaining hex nut and gave the rectangular latch a 180 degree turn tighter. Retightened the retaining nut, and the creaking sound is FINALLY gone.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey sorry I’m just now seeing this. Glad you figured out what I was talking about!