How to improve towing experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkoden

Reaction score
What mods can be done to improve the tow rig life and towing experience when towing with my 07 4x4 EL with HD Tow Package. I have never towed with something this light (usually towed with my dad's F350 Dually) so I want to make sure it is safe and comfortable. I know a weight distributing hitch is a must, what about airbags, rear diff cover, trans cover?

I have access to a 5300 lb dry travel trailer with 530 lbs tongue weight so by the time I get a 4 people in the vehicle and all out gear in the trailer I will probably be towing right at capacity so I need to do everything I can to make it safe. Unfortunately, a bigger tow rig isn't going to happen right now so I am going to have to make this work.

Basically this trailer:

Main-2014-Keystone-Bullet-286QBSWE-01.jpg

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated - Guaranteed

This is THE BEST hitch on the market, HANDS DOWN! It is expensive but worth every penny. Every trailer over 2k lbs should have one IMO.

Get a GOOD brake controller. Something that is plug and play. Something that doesn't just apply a set pressure. You want something that applies the brakes on the trailer harder as you push the brake pedal harder. It sounds like a No Brainer but people overlook it ALL THE TIME! These two things are the MOST important to make towing easier. After that, I recommend a better trans cooler, better engine cooling fans, more power etc.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick Mods:

Load Range C/D/E tires (E are way overkill).
P3 Brake controller.
Hitch that keeps the ball as close to the back of the vehicle as possible

See what happens next.

Unless that thing really swayed or caused issues I would skip the Hensley for something that small, yes they are nice but not needed on something that size. Keep in mind his trailer will probably be 6,200 lbs fully loaded at best. His 07 EL 4x4 is probably about 6,200 lbs before you add any people or heavier tires. I would bet his is about 7,000 lbs with 4 people and their stuff inside the vehicle then throw in 620 lbs of tongue weight and he's still under his GVW and most likely his GAWR for the back.

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. However, the Hensley has made ALL towing I've done easier. It is the correct type of Anti-Sway Control.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
c rated tires will help a lot with the seat o pants meter, those newer trailers tow very nice with the widetrack (spread axle) design

a Tokonsha Prodigy brake controller the Voyager will work great also

a WDH for sure one that uses that cam design to eliminate sway is the best
WD With Sway Control 1500 lbs Weight Distribution | etrailer.com

then simply load the trailer properly, most times too much tongue weight is better than not enough.

please keep in mind that the expy's are lighter vehicles and can not tow safely at high speeds like a superduty or the like

but you will be just fine

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on weight-distro hitch.

I added a mag-hytech trans pan (added an extra 8 qts); an in-line B&M trans filter; some gauges etc. Also aftercooled the supercharger.

Air deflector on the roof albeit the trailer in the pic has a sloped front-end.

What is your rear axle ratio? Are you AWD, 2WD, etc.?

Integrated brake controller a must (IMHO) as mentioned above.

I also added DOT-approved reflective tape to increase the visibility during low-light/night etc.

Don't discount your spare trailer tire, jacks, parking accessories/wheel stops to your gross combined weight rating.

PanHandler.