how to tell when key fob battery is dying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of excellent responses, thanks!

#2 doesn't start when I push the button

#6 good idea, I'll try the 2nd fob

#9 fob stays inside the vehicle all the time

I'll report back after I try the second fob. I'm assuming the battery (CR 2032) would be stronger as I've never used it.

The Chairman

Reaction score
3-4 year old car battery? Sounds like the battery in engine compartment, not the fob.
Take it to any auto parts place and they can do a quick stress test.

MikeL867

Reaction score
The fob is dying or very cold (it's -40C/-40F the past week where I live) when your vehicle says no key detected. When that happens and I haven't replaced the battery yet, I put the key in the spot in the centre console for starting your vehicle, and it starts no problem.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was def a cold temperature issue and low battery. Will replace the batteries on both fobs.

Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By the way, when I asked the Service guy why it wouldn't start when the fob was cold but WOULD start when the fob was warm, he had no clue as to what the issue was.

When I said the same thing to the Service Manager later,
he said that it MIGHT be temperature related but wasn't sure.

MikeL had it right away. Are you a Service Manager, Mike? :)

Lee Winter

Reaction score
I’ve been using the spot in the center console for two months. Both fobs have new batteries, and aside from last week, the temp has been above freezing. I checked as many connections as I could get to, and all the fuses and grounds. The dealer wanted to remove my headliner (5 hrs @$145 per). I declined. Anyone have any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT