how to tell when key fob battery is dying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '17 hesitates to start when it get's a little colder out, like 18 or 19 degrees F.

Is it possible the key fob battery is on its way out?

Anyone else have this issue?

Peter

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have to keep pushing fob button or is the truck turning over and not starting. Would think if key FOB battery is low you would have trouble un-locking/locking doors.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on the symptom but yes, it’s possible. They’re usually super simple to replace... give it a try and see what happens.

Plati

Reaction score
take battery out and measure the voltage?

they usually start requiring you to be closer and closer to the vehicle as they go

i've also had the buttons get "dirty" or slight oxidation (inside) that cleaning helps

i remember once my mother was slamming the tv remote on the table saying it wasn't working right. Mom its a bad battery --- geez

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '17 hesitates to start when it get's a little colder out, like 18 or 19 degrees F.

Peter

Try your second fob to see if the hesitation is present when cold.

The battery is a CR2032 - and very easy to replace. Instructions are in the vehicle owner’s manual.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have more of an issue of trying to start the vehicle with the fob in my pocket. I end up having "no key detected" messages every 2-3 months. So, I replace a lot of these batteries.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Peter

Is this with remote start or starting from inside vehicle?