Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiS11

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for a new key fob any info on after market keys and how to program it would be ideal.
Expedition 2015 ... drove it all day, went to pick up kids and truck wouldn't start. Ended up calling AAA towed to mechanic all for him to clear codes and now my truck starts and is drivable. He suggested I get a new key or a battery of course... to start.
I do need a new key as my backup doesn't work either.

Any info would be great!

Thank you.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for a new key fob any info on after market keys and how to program it would be ideal.
Expedition 2015 ... drove it all day, went to pick up kids and truck wouldn't start. Ended up calling AAA towed to mechanic all for him to clear codes and now my truck starts and is drivable. He suggested I get a new key or a battery of course... to start.
I do need a new key as my backup doesn't work either.

Any info would be great!

Thank you.

Information on how to program a new key fob is contained in your vehicle owner’s manual. The separate metal key is sold separately and must be cut like a regular key (Assuming you have the intelligent key fob). If I recall - you must have two original (or programmed) fobs.

I purchased a third new key fob from my dealer and programmed it according to the directions in my manual. The dealer was able to cut the separate metal key using Ford’s computer and my VIN.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My local ace hardware store was able to cut a new key and program the key (It was an exact copy physically and electrically to the key I brought into the store, so the car didn't have to be programmed as it already knew the code that was programmed into the key!! was about $60 for everything.

OP
OP
R

RiS11

Reaction score
My local ace hardware store was able to cut a new key and program the key (It was an exact copy physically and electrically to the key I brought into the store, so the car didn't have to be programmed as it already knew the code that was programmed into the key!! was about $60 for everything.
That's amazing … and did you buy a new key fob after market somewhere? My dealer wants to charge me 4350 for a new key and program it ... wont take an aftermarket key- and my mechanic says $370 for a new key and program it as well. My key is functionable but the fob needs to be replaced as it fell out of my car and got ran over by another car.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My expedition is an old 08, so the key does not have a fob (just an embedded security chip for the ignition) the fob is a seperate remote control unit which I purchased from eBay for less than $20, I don't know about the fob for your year of expedition, it was really easy to program my car to recognize the new remote control, the issue was programming the car to recognize a new key with a new security chip, the way ACE hardware did this was very easy, cheap and meant no programming of the car was required for the security chip. I am sure your expedition key has the security chip but also a built in remote fob, I would just call your local ACE and ask them if they sell blank keys for your year of expedition with the built in remote control (FOB).

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming your expedition is a lower trim with the key w/ integrated remote head and not the intelligent key fob, here are some links.

5 Button Remote on Amazon, 4 Button Remote w/trunk (not remote start) on Amazon, 4 Button remote w/remote start (not trunk) on Amazon

I have also personally purchased and used these! It is just a basic key w/an integrated chip. Cut by my local hardware store, I could program myself since I had two existing keys. You should, however, be able to use forscan to program the keys yourself.
Basic Key, however, this item is now unavailable on Amazon. Here is a link to one that is available and should work. Basic Key Link

Assuming your expedition has an intelligent key fob, Here is one that I have personally purchased from Amazon and programmed with Forscan to a 2019 Ford Taurus. Intelligent Key Fob

rslynes

Reaction score
If the 'intelligent key fob', most times it's just the button actuators that fail. I bought one of these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012A3EWYY?th=1.
Took the rubber button cover from this new one out and replaced the one in my old fob. Didn't change case or trim (the new case & trim are just slightly different than old ones). Changed the battery (CR2032) at the same time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire