How Well Does Your Expy Tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aod92

Reaction score
I tow my Mustang with my 99 Expedition with no problems. My car weigh's aroun 3100lbs. and I'm gonna say the trailer is around 1200lbs. It has the 5.4 in it, and I replaced the air bags with coil springs. Here is a pic!
untitled.jpg

Eddiebauerexpy

Reaction score
I towed my 79 F150 home, on a homemade, all steel, car hauler (about 3500lbs), with the truck, (somewhere around 5000), plus a bed fullof crap in the truck (enough to squat it almost tothe bumpstops), so im guessing somewhere around 10,000lbs. The rear suspension was begging for mercy (coils were MAXED), but i pulled it out of O/D and it really towed it good, it was stable, stopped it good, and had plenty of go power, except up some steep hills, i had ti floored and tachin 4500 to keep 50, but for the most part 55 wasnt a problem, thats with a 5.4L and 3.73s with an E4OD trans.

Woody64

Reaction score
I have a 97 Expy with the 5.4L. I towed my friends truck on a homemade all steel trailer with two mobile home axles. The trailer weighed 4000lbs and the truck weighed a little over 5000lbs. So it was somewhere from 9000 to 10000lbs on my expy. I put all this weight on my stock bumber and it handled it great! I drove on I-44 for about 100 miles and 65 hwy, which has some very steep hills, for 40 miles. I had no problems at all and I never had to floor mine. When I went up a steep hill I turned off the overdrive and climbed steadily up the hill at appx 3300 rpms. I drove most of the way going 70 mph. I absolutely love my expy, it runs amazing!

Last edited: