How Well Does Your Expy Tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DARCEXPO

Reaction score
New to the sight. Just bought my 2004 Expy last month (Love it). Plan on doing alot of towing this summer. Just wanted to know how well your expy does towing. Traded in a 2004 Dodge Durango with the HEMI to get the Expy. Durango would burn alot of oil towing my camper through the mountains. Used to have an 02 F-150 SuperCrew and it towed my camper way better. Wanted to see if you guys had any problems towing with your Expy and how much your towing.

MavrickMA

Reaction score
I towed a 35' travel trailer (approx. 8000 lbs) w/ a 2003 4.6L Expy with no sway control! Sunk the rear-end pretty low, and couldn't get above 50mph, but she did it. Won't do it again though...too nerve racking!

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know a guy that did that with the same truck and he said he got like 5mpg in the mountains lol, but it did it.

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow an 18 foot Kona jet boat on a double axle trailer. Not sure of the weight, prob around 2800-3000 range. Tow to the lake is a 145 miles one way to havasu. Tows like a champ. If your doing alot of towing I would put in the air springs from air lift with the on board air compresser. I put mine in myself, took all day but man does it make a difference. It takes the trailer hop right out. Can't really feel it, but thats partly due to a good trailer and maintenance on it as well. Make sure you do your trailer maint. its amazing how much trailers get neglected. I saw two this past weekend broke down in the middle of the desert.

Joe S.

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a rockcrawler with mine. It has the 5.4 and 3.32:1 gear ratio and it does ok. I think it would benefit more from a 3.55 or 3.73 gear out back but I can't complain as it is. Trailer and crawler weighs around 4k-4500 lbs if I had to guess.

AW_3_3

Reaction score
Towed a 5600lb Jeep Wrangler (Big tires, lift, packing to the brim with stuff from the house when moving, very very heavy things) With our 2003 4.6L. With the big tires, it was significnatly taller than the truck on the trailer. It was a 500 mile trip through some mountains. The rear end sank down pretty low. Going uphill was a challenge for it, it would get down to 40 ish, floored, the tach hovering at 4600RPM. Did fine though, set the cruise at 65 most of the way. Towed it with no problems. Got about 8-10 MPG during the trip though. This was with the Michelin LTX M/S tires, they handled it very well.

EDIT> I should mention the expedition was also packed with 4 people, and something stuffed into every nook and cranny. There must have been a good 1000lb extra in the truck, including us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Towed a 5600lb Jeep Wrangler (Big tires, lift, packing to the brim with stuff from the house when moving, very very heavy things) With our 2003 4.6L. With the big tires, it was significnatly taller than the truck on the trailer. It was a 500 mile trip through some mountains. The rear end sank down pretty low. Going uphill was a challenge for it, it would get down to 40 ish, floored, the tach hovering at 4600RPM. Did fine though, set the cruise at 65 most of the way. Towed it with no problems. Got about 8-10 MPG during the trip though. This was with the Michelin LTX M/S tires, they handled it very well.

EDIT> I should mention the expedition was also packed with 4 people, and something stuffed into every nook and cranny. There must have been a good 1000lb extra in the truck, including us.

What towing package does it have? Mine has a 5000 lb towing package.