I don't own her yet but could later today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi
This is not for towing of for other really rough work. It will see some dirt road work and even some off roading, nothing even close to it's limits. I'm basically tired of mid sized vehicles. I want this to be my runaround and I like to keep my cars fairly stock. RIght now, I'm hoping she would go maybe 20.000 miles without having to sink a bundle, thats 3-4 years with the miles I drive a year. To put it into perspective, the trip computer on my current car says for years I average under 30 miles an hour on average. The longest trips I make are about 2 hours one way and I do that 4 times a year or so. Incidentally, I'll find out if I buy it I guess but is this class of vehicle more expensive to insure than a mid size 4 cylinder SUV? Yes I know my mileage will be 1/3 of my current car hehe

Well, for starters, hopefully you're insuring the thing as minimal liability only....

But the reason I'm asking is, dunno if you're aware or not, but you can get Expeditions 10 years younger and half that mileage starting around twice that price --- mostly $3 - 4k, but some cheaper --- from our dear gubmint (Fleet SSV models, typically used by Forestry Services, Fire Marshalls, some police for non-pursuit duties, etc)

The interior appointments of the fleet models are somewhat lacking, but offroad/crap road capability is actually higher than civilian model (skid plates come stock) and maintenance on them is pretty much cheaper than any other vehicle you can buy in America

It'll probably cost you much less in the long run, if you can afford it.

Last edited:

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your overthinking this for the money if you get a good test drive go for it just check the suspension ball joints etc. You could buy a much newer one and if it needs front end work that could be 12 to 14 hundred alone.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your overthinking this if you get a good test drive go for it just make sure you check the suspension ball joints etc.you could buy a much newer one and if it needs front end work that could be 12 to 14 hundred alone I just made that mistake.

OP
OP
A

Anthony G

Reaction score
Well, the good.....
173000 miles, the truck is as clean as it could be underneath. The thing was parked for at least 2 days that I'm aware of in the same spot and there is not a drop of oil under it. The rear dif and the transfer case are a bit wet along the bottom, seeping I bit but not dripping. The motor runs strong, the trans fluid is pink and clean and does not smell burnt. Oil looks good although it was half a quart low. The interior is dirty but elbow grease will fix that pretty well. Oh, the 4x4 system works great in both 4 low and 4 high.
The bad
ABS light is on along with the engine light. The cat's have been removed. The job looks professionally done with good bead on the welds. I'm concerned about the transmission, it seems to judder or shudder a bit right on the up shift from 1-2 or 2-3....can't remember now. Cracked windshield.
Overall, I didn't buy it on the spot due to the ABS light and the possible transmission issue. I couldn't tell if it was a rough pavement or if the transmission really is shuddering a bit. I told him I didn't want to make an impulse buy and decide later. GUy seems to be a bit of a car flipper working from his home. He mentioned selling lots of cars and he had 2 others for sale. so I'm pondering.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's all about the test drive,
walk the vehicle, all doors open and close properly? All the lights work? any visible damage on wheels? open hood, wires or hoses that go nowhere, cracks in the belt (underside) Check passenger side of engine under heater hoses for signs of leaking. Battery check if you see a year and month also look at connectors. Is the radiator in good condition? check the radiator mount for rusting out. Look under vehicle at each wheel. checking for leaks at the caliper and brake lines. looking for over all rust underneath and major bumps and scrapes to the bottom of anything and look where it looks wet.
Get in the vehicle start it up (cut radio off) and listen for any abnormal sounds. Test everything, all bells and whistles, windows, door locks (all of them don't forget rear door) and test buttons on every door. Foot pedals, seat controls, windshield wipers front and back AC and heat defrost and vent floor and rear AC/heat panel floor mirror adjusters Sun roof Side window vents.
And anything that did not work you can use as a bargaining chip to get the price down so be thorough.

test drive, slow take offs and fast take offs, slow braking and fast braking including slamming on brakes to test ABS. Does the steering wheel have play in it? slow corners to the right and left and fast corners to the left and right.( how did it feel? there should be no jerking at all) go into a parking lot and do tight circles to the left and right.(note if in AWD it will jump on tight circles but no clanking should happen) and while you are in the parking lot check 4 wheel drive high and low and AWD. (how did it switch between them?)Any clanking or jerking should be addressed
don't forget to check the cruise control.
Bottom line do you like the way the vehicle feels?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait, 170k or 270k?

Big difference

Also... car flippers are generally hoping for at least a grand per flip, so how much did he pay for it????

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The flipper will never say what he paid, I never did, nor was I asked. The check engine light could be due to the missing cats, but could be more. Bring a cheap OBD2 scanner, or ask if he has one you can hook up. Do you guys have smog checks in New Mexico, like here in California? Seller is responsible for it passing here, not buyer, unless negotiated into price. The Abs could be a problem. Why didn't this guy fix the major things? I bought a Lincoln Mark 7 about 9 years back that had abs light on when I bought it. Got good price so didn't worry. About 2 months after I bought it, the abs pump quit completely, and scared the hell out of me. Literally only hard no boost brakes. Sounds like your looking at about $500.00 on up just in parts. That windshield alone is $300.00 for a decent one sealed proper. You might want to take the others advice and find another newer one. Just my 2cents. Members here that start out with this many issues, find way more, the further they dig.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk