I have drive a vehicular mullet.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Business in the front.

9360C7E2-1305-49C1-B5E4-33860B2F33F2.jpeg

Party in the back.
2B518871-13D6-411D-A130-72581FA33EEA.jpeg

I starting to think about a more rugged wheel/tire setup. I know there are a ton of threads on here already that I’ve read but one thing I can’t seem to find any concrete opinions on is 18 inch vs 20 inch wheels. I don’t want to change the outer diameter of the stock tire I currently run and I don’t want to have any tire running or run a lift. I just want something that I can run through some mud if I encounter it and have more confidence off road in general. I don’t want to rock crawl but I also know that theses stock street tires aren’t good for much past dirt/gravel.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Nitto Ridge Grapplers seem to get the respect of both slight off-road and on road comfort.

As far as a smaller rim/wheel, you would just need to be cognizant of any suspension the smaller size would impact. Maybe a moot point, but still need to be considered.

Nice looking setup. However, you need a roof system like Fozzy now. LOL!

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Love it. Quite jealous. Both of your rig and that you have a wife that's interested in joining you on adventures that would necessitate a set up like that. Haha

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smaller wheels will give you a softer side wall that would be beneficial offroad but be careful, you might like the ride so much you want to ditch the 22's. 18's will let you air down a bit to enhance traction and further help smooth out the ride on bumpy washboard roads. You could get some black wheels to better match the trailer wheels pull the look together.

I don't think you need a mud tire, this is a giant suv with pretty minimal ground clearance, avoid any mud more than a few inches deep! I would look at the Dueler AT, Wrangler AT with kevlar, Duratrac (slightly more aggressive), Falken Wildpeak AT, Open country AT2, BFG AT KO2

Jeka

Reaction score
Business in the front.

View attachment 34207

Party in the back.
View attachment 34208

I starting to think about a more rugged wheel/tire setup. I know there are a ton of threads on here already that I’ve read but one thing I can’t seem to find any concrete opinions on is 18 inch vs 20 inch wheels. I don’t want to change the outer diameter of the stock tire I currently run and I don’t want to have any tire running or run a lift. I just want something that I can run through some mud if I encounter it and have more confidence off road in general. I don’t want to rock crawl but I also know that theses stock street tires aren’t good for much past dirt/gravel.
Nice setup!
I’ve been researching this as well. Not looking for any kind of lift. Wanted to get a set of MT tires in addition to stock 22” 3-season, and 20” winter. Was debating between 18” to match spare or get 17” since there are more options in that size and they do fit over brakes. 20” for off-road use is too big (or better say sidewall is too small) IMO.
But now I’m holding off, since I want to get a 2dr Bronco in “Raptor” trim - hope lug nut pattern will be the same so I can swap the wheels for overlanding trips.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice setup there!

Of my opinion if there is going to be anything off pavement done I go with
18” wheels (or smaller dependent upon the vehicle) certainly with E rated Falken Wildpeak AT3s
They are the smoothest and quietest off road tires I have come across.
They are extremely formidable in mud as they clean themselves very well. Good sidewall with protection if you do need to air down some.
I have not had them in snow as Mother Nature is not cooperating here. It was 70* when normally it should be at or below freezing.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
c9a87659247fff3f0ed94f90be28ac4b.gif

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice setup!
I’ve been researching this as well. Not looking for any kind of lift. Wanted to get a set of MT tires in addition to stock 22” 3-season, and 20” winter. Was debating between 18” to match spare or get 17” since there are more options in that size and they do fit over brakes. 20” for off-road use is too big (or better say sidewall is too small) IMO.
But now I’m holding off, since I want to get a 2dr Bronco in “Raptor” trim - hope lug nut pattern will be the same so I can swap the wheels for overlanding trips.
The new Bronco is on our radar big time. If it turns out to be as awesome as it’s been made out to be we ma just get that and let my wife drive it or my Navigator. That way we have a great road trip tourer and the overland vehicle.