I just need a name....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know the name of the Ford engineer that designed the plastic fan shroud to allow access to the oil filter? I'd like to have a little visit with him. Seeing as how the opening is at least a half an inch too small to allow for passage of a FL820s filter, I apparently popped the gasket off the filter trying to force it through, and as a consequence, pumped almost 2 quarts of oil out onto my driveway and out into the street as I was backing out. Three hours of oil dry, solvent, detergent, and bleach later, my driveway still looks awful.

carole

Reaction score
i just went through that myself today... the stupid tiny little bolts are all rusty, and don't seem to fit ANY of the zillion tiny ratchets, and i swear last time i only hand tightened the filter... but since i couldn't get the fan shroud off, i took the piece that attaches to the air filter off and got down from the top... not a lot of room and you have to loosen it about 1/8" at a time, but just enough so you can get your hands in from underneath... then you can feed the filters in and out from under sort of between the edge of the shroud. which i swear they sharpen so it slices the hell out of your arms...

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I did that once, but it was on a Chrysler, when Mobil 1 just came out.

But the only fool I could blame was the one who forgot to put a new filter in after taking out the old one...

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil dry, detergent and scrub brush, bleach and scrub brush - so far, made zero improvement. May just have to get 5 gallons of oil and stain the rest of the driveway so it matches :confused:

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think a powerwash could help. Maybe rent one that pumps out hot water. Or just buy one. They are nice to have.

A friend had an electric one but I prefer the gas driven ones - no cord, just a hose each for the wand and water.

Plati

Reaction score
Month or so back I sealed my driveway with the "expensive stuff". Looked great for a week or so. Then the rear diff leak started spotting. Then I blew a brake line, moved the Expy around, and have all kinds of spots. The leaking steering pinion is also making spots. I got some compost from the town and have footprints all over that look worse than the fluid leaks. Dirt from grass growing and grass clippings seem to stick to the sealant like a magnet. Even bird guano is in evidence. I've scrubbed it with water and dawn and it knocks it back but still shows. I was tweaking a little then I took the attitude its a driveway and not my living room carpet and it will look better in the spring so I untweaked. Just me but in my life there are bigger things to worry about - and I'm not worried about them either.