I need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert B

Reaction score
At the beginning I'm sorry for my English. I have Ford Expedition 2005 and I have a problem with the radio. The radio turns off and after 15-20 minutes it turns on. Until I turn off the engine, the radio works and then the same. Breaks at work are getting longer. When radio turns off, it only works loading discs and setting the time. I connected another radio and the same. Please help. In Poland, nobody wants to fix it.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it shut off as soon as the vehicle is started or is it working for some amount of time before shutting down for 15-20min? It almost sounds like accessory power is dropping out on it, but why it would come and go is a bit of a mystery unless there is a problem with the ignition or one of the many SJB issues that seem to come up at random. If ots a retained power issue, as in wont run with key off before opening door I'd look at the SJB in the passenger kick panel being it's a common failure point and both radio and RAP circuits run through it.

The reason I suspect a possible accessory power issue is the 2 features you mention that retain functionality are handled by the constant 12v at the radio, the accessory is what makes everything else wake up.

Do you own a multimeter and are you comfortable working around wiring? If not you're just going to be guessing like I am.

OP
OP
R

Robert B

Reaction score
Sometimes it does not work after starting the engine and turns on after 15-20 minutes and sometimes it turns off while driving. As soon as it starts working, until I turn off the engine is OK. I checked the fuse and nothing works after removing. Unless there are more than one fuse there? I don't have a meter and I don't even have access to the cable description. Are the radio cables connected to any controller? It irritates me terribly. One more thing: when it turns off, the display also does not work. It will turn on when, for example, I would like to pull out the disc or set the time. I don't have a meter but I can borrow. Just what should I check. Maybe you have a description cables then I can verify if there is power where it should be and of course if is ground

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont believe the 05 radio is controlled by CAN. For the sake of not attaching a dozen pics I posted up the Smart Junction Box (SJB) on another thread recently. It will show what connectors go where and what each fuse goes to. It's not a fuse issue otherwise you wouldn't have power come and go. If anything, possibly a relay if it's in the SJB. They are known to do some odd things...

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/diagram-search-help.40667/

Attached you'll see pinouts for the plugs at the radio and the last one is ignition in the steering column if there is in fact s problem w accessory. You could then check it there to see if it voltage stays or goes on that circuit to see if something is related to the ignition switch.

I would take the radio out, have someone ride with you supporting it and watch to see if voltage changes while it does this come and go type thing so you can see what happens when it's working and when it stops. As long as the key is on or vehicle is running you should see 12v at that wire. Anything else would indicate a problem and at least narrow it down a bit.

You'll only need basic tools to remove the radio. There are two fasteners in the top of the bezel above your instrument cluster. The rest if it just pops off carefully. Start from the radio side, tends to be easier. You'll want a plastic tool to help pry. A screwdriver will scratch the finish of your dash or break something...or both. Lower the steering wheel all the way and just work the bezel toward you and out. It requires a bit of force, a little bending, and dont get frustrated. If you yank on it it will probably snap. It's not a cheap part unless you can find at a you pull it yard. YouTube for a preview if you have no experience removing interior trim.

20190927_205018.jpg

20190927_205026.jpg

20190927_205032.jpg

20190927_205749.jpg