I want Fog Lights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JoeExpedition

Reaction score
dubedition2003, Ok, thanks.

So, your truck did not already have the wires for the fog lights?

My 1998 seems to have the wires hanging up above the fog lights, they are factory tagged to sheet metal using a white bristly-push-pin.

(To see them, you have to get on the ground, on your back, and look up above the fog light mounting area with a flash light. They are above.)

I am SO hoping those are the wires for the fog lights, as I just ordered a crazy amount of parts!

Last edited:

dubedition2003

Reaction score
my 97' did have the wire harness but they would not light up the fog lights because the switched needed to be replaced.

I did not know where to get the factory switch equipped with the fog lights from so I got the rocket switch from AUTOZONE.

OP
OP
J

JoeExpedition

Reaction score
Today I got the foglights and the new switch installed, and everything works! (Albeit it took some serious cash, about $500 - I must have lost it a bit to attempt this.)

I now know the following:

The first generation expeditions were pre-wired for fog lights at the factory. These were the wires I had seen.

The non-fog-light switch does mimic the fog light pull out, but this is because the mechanicals of the plastic round switch is the same. To make a fog-light switch a fog-light switch, its all in the electronics, of which the round-switch sits in front.

The whole switch (electronics, round switch, and front plate) costs about $175! Maybe this makes sense if you think about it as having some circuitry, and special connectors and such. A very cheap and not too good digital camera costs $175.

A new headlight relay is also needed, as the relay must shut off the fog-lights when the high-beams are switch on.

The lights are about $100 each.

It took a good technician about 2 hours to hook up the whole thing.

So now my 1998 Expedition looks cool with fog lights where they are supposed to be, and with a factory switch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani