I want to lock my keys inside!..pls advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello exped gurus!...I'm an original 07 EXP-EL (Eddie Bauer) owner who has damm near worn the numbers off my external key pad. Yes I use it lots...For those of you who value this feature, the ability to throw my keys inside the vehicle and lock it is simply priceless:)

Now I'm looking to buy a used EXP (2015-17) and I thought I better make certain I choose the right model that enables me to lock the keys inside.

I like the limited trim, but does the push button start - key fob let you lock the vehicle with the FOB inside? I'd think not but would like to confirm this.

OR do I need to choose an XLT model that has an actual key? I do see a 2016 king ranch for sale that has an actual key, so maybe pre 2017 models in the limited and higher don't all have key fobs?

Please advise.

Thanks

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Limited with the Push button start...yes, you can lock your FOB inside the vehicle if you use the keypad on the outside to lock the vehicle...great feature/convenience.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't have push to start in my 2017, but you can lock it while keys in the ignition and running. Used to the remote start on the Suburban, can't wait to get one on the Expedition. Just hope your battery is good, when relying on the keypad entry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2016 xlt has a key and I turn it out and lock the doors all the time. Not sure on the other models though. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Makes it kinda easy to steal if people notice

With remote FOB vehicles, it's a better habit to take a locking carabiner and keep them on your belt or belt loop in your pocket

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't have push to start in my 2017, but you can lock it while keys in the ignition and running. Used to the remote start on the Suburban, can't wait to get one on the Expedition. Just hope your battery is good, when relying on the keypad entry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I 'hope' my battery is good all the time :)...battery failure would make it a little more difficult to get back inside.

OP
OP
Trevor Benedict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input!...now I can move forward and find a good used 2017 Limited knowing I can lock the keys inside.
I don't worry about my car being stolen or the battery dying whatsoever as my mechanic checks the battery at every service. Plus, while your starting the car, I think it's quite noticeable when your battery is struggling and beginning to go south.
Cheers!

Plati

Reaction score
I think the battery would have to be dead as a doornail before the keypad would fail to open the door.

Besides, wasn't the OPs whole point of locking the key inside was to leave the engine running while going into the store?

Me however, I leave a key hidden inside my vehicle in case I lose my key while being away from the vehicle backpacking or otherwise away from the Expy. I think you pointed out a flaw in the plan, I'm gonna cut a third key and somehow store it outside the vehicle. If/when the rear wiper locks up (not in home position) it will drain the battery bone dry.

I also put a wallet with a credit card, cash, & a copy of everything in my pocket wallet hidden inside the Expy when I go on a 6 week walkabout. Having a backup plan is good when far away from home. I also pack one those commercial jumpncarry batteries to cover a dead battery. Don't want to be stuck all alone on remote Forest Service land!

Last edited:

iaazan

Reaction score
I lock my keys in the Expedition center console when we go out on the boat. I have a spare manual key with a floating chain on the boat itself. Awesome feature. I can use it as an emergency backup if the pushpad decides to not work, or I give it to someone that is going to back the truck and trailer up to the launch. 2016 Platinum trim