I want to lock my keys inside!..pls advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought, and evidently must be mistaken, but I thought I understood that with a proximity key - when its locked inside the car, that ANY press of a button on the exterior keypad would unlock the doors. So there is convenience verses security if thats the case.

airbrush

Reaction score
I have kept my keys locked in my F250, F150 and Expedition forever! ALL my keys have been kept in there. Stupid? Probably, yes - but convenient for sure. Mant of my Buds know the door code. Stupid again, yes. Convenient, yes and yes.

As a matter of fact, all the codes were the same.

Take my truck, enter my home? Better not let me catch you.

OP
OP
Trevor Benedict
Reaction score
Well Flexpedition I sure hope you are mistaken... but on my next test drive I will confirm that the key fob is able to be locked in the vehicle with only the correct keypad combo being able to open it.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought, and evidently must be mistaken, but I thought I understood that with a proximity key - when its locked inside the car, that ANY press of a button on the exterior keypad would unlock the doors. So there is convenience verses security if thats the case.

Nope, doesn't work that way. With the FOB locked inside the vehicle, you must enter the entire keypad code to unlock the door(s).

Proximity will only work when you have the FOB outside the vehicle...then you press any digit on the keypad and the vehicle will unlock.

I have verified this many times.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2017 Limited I leave the fob under the seat at all times. I exit the vehicle and press the last button 8-9 and the doors lock. Easy, and it works for me.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, doesn't work that way. With the FOB locked inside the vehicle, you must enter the entire keypad code to unlock the door(s).

Proximity will only work when you have the FOB outside the vehicle...then you press any digit on the keypad and the vehicle will unlock.

I have verified this many times.

Correct. I’ve verified this too. Love the tech of proximity keyless. It just plain works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2017 Limited I leave the fob under the seat at all times. I exit the vehicle and press the last button 8-9 and the doors lock. Easy, and it works for me.

I have to press 7/8 9/0 simultaneously to lock my doors and I have a ‘17 Limited. I’ll have to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman