I work on my own exp / pcm relay #203 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonia

Reaction score
Hi all, yes I work on my own 03 exp 5.4 as dad raised this girl right in taking care of her toys.. That said getting extremely frustrated with electrical probs. I did however cure the link of radio/pwr windows not working... Bypass the relay and use simple switch to turn in off. But lastest is most frustrating with a melting relay for pcm and silinoids..wtf cause wires look good..grrrrrr

Last edited by a moderator:

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok if I deciphered this correctly, they said.. He fixed the problem with the radio and power windows by bypassing a relay to a toggle switch...

Than they said they are getting frustrated with a relay that keeps getting melted by the PCM & solenoids..

First things first, welcome to EF. 2nd thing this should probably be posted in the correct thread now.

And I would honestly, grab a service manual, and trace down the wiring to the RELAY and go from there. Grab you a volt meter, and start testing wires, or start test ohms on whatever is going to the that part of the system.

And also my question is did this start before or after you fixed the Radio/Windows?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I would honestly, grab a service manual, and trace down the wiring to the RELAY and go from there. Grab you a volt meter, and start testing wires, or start test ohms on whatever is going to the that part of the system. /QUOTE]

Do you by chance have the service manual for the 03 expeditions?
What is your experience with this kind of problem ?

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I do not have a service manual for the 03, but like I find all of my service manuals google search.

My experience with wiring is advanced, with this problem by itself, none. I have never had a relay melt on me before, and having a relay melt that's a serious issue, with as many fail safes these newer vehicles have, for a relay to melt and not trip a fuse first. than go from there.

Experience, wise pretty good since I did a 300zx NA to TT swap and that's one project I hope I never have to do ever again..

But on track, what I said is common sense. if you have a relay melting, than either google search a FSM, or buy one, than grab a meter, and start testing those circuits in question. Its not a 20 minute test either, there are lots of wires and lots of relays, circuits to test.

Simple things are always the best instead of jumping in and throwing money at it. just like if your car doesn't start.. What are the 3 main properties needed in any vehicle to run..

Air, Fuel, Spark. Changing your right rear lug nut wont solve your problem lol

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2003 fuse box has had some issues with overheating the female connectors used on relays for some of the circuits. This causes the connector to open slightly which reduces the amount of contact and the problem cascades to the point where the pcb is overheated causing failure. Usual repair is to replace the fuse box or add in an external relay socket while also beefing up the internal lands for the affected circuits.

To the OP, check the fuse for the circuit to make sure it hasn't been increased beyond factory spec which may make the relay the weakest point in the circuit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tonia

Reaction score
Sorry guys

Yes my apologies, I did post the problem in the electrical section of the forums for relay #203. I'm curious as to why other fuses that are associated with this relay have no problem it's just the relay and everything else works

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pay attention to stamp11127 he is very good with problems with the fuse block on the 03 expeditions.
Sending you a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.