IAC high idle help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have had an issue the my expy idling high for a while, when it started i posted on here and had a few responses saying replace idle air control valve i havent been to concerned bc the mil whet off and hasnt come back on, today i change the breaks and since i was working on the truck figured id go ahead and replace IAC valve. Breaks went smooth but not so much with the valve.

heres my issues:

first thing i did before starting her back up i cleared dtc's so that it would start up fresh with the new valve.

when i first started it up it revved really high (higher than normal) then came down to normal warm up idle, so i didnt think much of it being that it was a new valve, after running for a minute or so i noticed a high pitched whistle coming from the engine compartment, so i started checking all hose connections electrical plugs etc.. found nothing out of place so i continued to let it warm up once warm was still idling high between 900 and 1000 rpm, so i put it in gear with foot on the break and idle came down to about 750-800 and the whistle is now a little louder (its not really loud but you can hear it faintly with the hood down) i had my wife come out and put it in and out of gear so i could try to find where it was coming from but no such luck, so i had her lightly rev the engine and i hear a howling sound coming from around mass air sensor but only when really lightly revving, took it for a quick drive and same sound.
any help would be great im at a loss and its my only vehicle so i want and need to keep her healthy.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the valve was the last thing you changed I would start there. Remove it and make sure the gasket is in good shape.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the notorious cracked PCV valve return line boot. It's located up behind the top of the intake. Follow the tube from where it comes out of the PCV and you'll see the boot that connects to the intake. Put your hand there and see if you feel a vacuum leak. There's a post all about this as a sticky in the how to section. I'd link it but I'm on tapatalk.

Sent from the Millennium Falcon using Tapatalk 2

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the notorious cracked PCV valve return line boot. It's located up behind the top of the intake. Follow the tube from where it comes out of the PCV and you'll see the boot that connects to the intake. Put your hand there and see if you feel a vacuum leak. There's a post all about this as a sticky in the how to section. I'd link it but I'm on tapatalk.

+1 on this.