I'd Kill for those MPG numbers!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparky

Reaction score
I have a 5.4 4x4 1999 expedition. I bought it used in 2003. The best MPG I have EVER gotten from this machine is 12! I get 12 weather I am towing or not. Highway, city rain, snow, dry I get 12. I would kill for 16 and some of you get 21 ! Did you put a diesel in it or something?

Should I be taking this into the dealer and have them check it out?

I love my truck wish I had the folding third seats.

By the way my seat heater has quit working this winter. Is this a job for a do it your selfer or should I pay the $250 to get it fixed. These leather seats get real cold in Michigan.

Would appreciate any help with the MPG.

Thanks

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i regularly get 14 mpg city and 16 mpg highway (almost 17 mpg). i don't know if you have ever visited this site: www.bobistheoilguy.com it's free to sign up and there's a lot of info on there. i noticed an increase in mpg (~2 mpg) after i treated my engine with auto-rx (can read about it at www.auto-rx.com). AND I MEAN INCREASE. i have held onto this increase for about a year now. i am getting ready to use the tranny formulation of auto-rx also.

this one is a little weird, but i switched to Mobil 1 5000 5W30 ($1.68/qt) and noticed ~1.5 mpg increase for 1200 miles. Now it's 1900 miles since i changed the oil and i'm back down to a regular 14 mpg city and 16 mpg highway.

i hope to try the new air filter (trueflow) i read about at www.fordtruckworld.com. my K&N dropped my mpg for about 3000 miles, and then it all the sudden went back to normal. i assume that the filter was dirty, restricting air, and decreasing the amount of fuel needed. I'M NOT A MECHANIC...this just seems logical to me.

i will also be installing new plugs and a new belt. i'm at 112K and haven't done any major maintenance except oil changes every 3k and fuel filter changes every 30K.

hope some of this helps...this has just been my experience.

OP
OP
S

Sparky

Reaction score
I'd kill for those MPG numbers!!!

Cnuttgirl
Thanks for the tips, I am definitely going to try the auto-rx and probably the trans formulation too. I am due for a trans flush before towing season gets here.

I just had the spark plugs changed. No difference in MPG.

What octane fuel do you buy? I have noticed worse performance from the 87 oct. When I tow I prefer to use 89 oct. I 've seen articles on the web about reprograming the computer chip to get better fuel economy with lower octane fuels. Haven't tried this yet.

I post an update after the auto- rx goes in.

Sparky

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i tried 87 (like the manual says to use) and i tried 89. i didn't see a huge difference (except in cost). what i have noticed, is that it makes a dirrence which gas station i go to. i seem to get better performance with BP/AMACO gas. i don't get as good with SHELL, and for the money i tend to shop a lot at SPEEDWAY. maybe there are some crazy coincidences going on, but it's been my experience for the last two years now. i don't see any reason to not use 87, but i don't tow too awful lot.

LarryD

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone interested in buying Auto-Rx should use a coupon code to get a nice discount. Use code, ARXOF, for a few bucks off.

You should check out an interesting Auto-Rx test by a skeptical user at Auto-Rx User Test.

LarryD