Identify burning smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nytimes770

Reaction score
I've got a little over 2,000 miles on a 2019 xlt rwd. I started noticing a burning smell after parking it in my garage. I can't smell it from inside the car, only outside.

It seems to be coming from under the hood but I can't be 100% sure. I checked oil level which turned out to be fine. What else could it be?

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a piece of electrical tape hanging and touching the exhaust. Look under your vehicle and see if you can find it. I think it was on the passenger side even with where a mud flap would be mounted for the front wheel well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nytimes770

Reaction score
14 months into ownership and some 6,500 miles the smell is still there. The first visit to the dealer they said it's the break-in period. The second time they said they didn't smell anything. I don't think they really tried to see if there was a smell. Not a very good dealership it was.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hot catalytic converters can be stinky burny smelling for a long time. Especially in a closed garage. My 2005 Mercedes with 24,000 miles on it still does this.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be hard to guess without actually smelling it.
maybe a small dead animal(chipmonk)? that had a nest. Or a snake?

OP
OP
N

Nytimes770

Reaction score
Definitely not a dead animal. The smell of coming from under the hood, driver side. Not the muffler.

I have been using nothing but regular gas. Could this be the reason?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely not a dead animal. The smell of coming from under the hood, driver side. Not the muffler.

I have been using nothing but regular gas. Could this be the reason?
Nope

Parking in the garage can really make smells from a hot vehicle super noticeable.

I only park my 2 seater in the garage and typically will leave it in the driveway after a long drive and let it cool off before putting it away just for that reason. The other half of the garage was turned into a COVID gym and art table for the kids. No basements here.. The garage getting the basement conversion is a big COViD side effect here on the West Coast.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wifes 18 Navigator just cracked the valve cover and stunk like burning oil....