Idle Air Control Valve (IAC)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
This was easy diagnosis and repair, once I figured out where the IAC on my rig was actually located (2000 EB).

Symptoms: Tried to start, fired and immediately shut down. Found I could start if I pressed a little on the gas pedal. No service light or codes being thrown off while it was running in this condition. As my two previous vehicles had similar issues over the years (and always in the cold of winter), I was pretty sure this was the IAC. Did a quick search for the IAC location on the 5.4 Triton, and saw pictures that it was out in the open and easily accessible (WRONG).

The IAC on my rig is on the Right Hand side of the engine, tucked in under the dash extension, with the bolts facing to the rear right. Takes 8mm socket to get them out (actually, I just loosened them with the socket and then I was able to remove them with finger tips). The electrical connector is behind the rear part of the intake, so I had to feel around to find where to press and release.

I was considering trying to clean the existing, but given the effort to put it back in, I just went and bought the BWD aftermarket unit from O'Reilly's (didn't have time to wait for a shipment from Rock or other). It was $45 bucks and came with a new gasket.

Went back in easier then expected, as I was able to mate the plug and IAC connector on the first attempt (which was mostly blind given the positioning of the device).

After snugging up the two bolts, I cleared the work area and fired it up. Running perfectly again.

Hint: put a plastic cap on the fuel rail valve to save your arm skin when working to loosen and tighten the bolts.

Hope this helps someone who might have similar issues.

Happy New Year's

John O.

OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
Update (10-5-19):

The replacement IAC failed (sort-of). This time it was just sticky, and it would idle high until the PCM made enough of a change that it reacted (with a fairly sudden change in RPM levels). As it had a lifetime warranty, I went a got a replacement.

Removing and replacing was easier than the first time, except it was complicated by the fact I dropped the gasket behind the engine (twice). I thought I could access that area by removing the alternator and reaching in under the manifold. Even at 6'4" with long arms, I just couldn't get to that area. I did retrieve it once from the back, by contorting my arm, but the second time, no dice.

The original gasket was in good shape, so I just reused it, and as expected, the problem was resolved with smooth startup and now have gentle changes in the RPM level.

Question for the forum: Do I need to worry about the gasket that fell behind the engine?

I think I would need to take off the full intake and fuel rail assemblies to get access back to that area, but if there is any risk of a fire, then I would be willing to give it a go (I had to do similar with the daughters 2006 Explorer to change out some simple sensor that Ford had buried under the intake manifold).

Let me know if anyone has any advice on this matter.

Best Regards,

JohnnyO