If the Expedition had the following engine options, which would you choose?

If the Expedition had the following engine options, which would you choose?

• 6.2L V8 411 hp 434 lb-ft 14/18 mpg

Votes: 102 23.7%
  • 5.4L V8 Supercharged 380hp 450 lb-ft 13/17 mpg

Votes: 65 15.1%
  • 5.4L V8 320 hp 365 lb-ft 14/18 mpg

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 3.7L V6 Twin turbo charged 340hp 340lb-ft 16/23 mpg

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • 4.4L Diesel 330 hp 520 lb-ft ~16/22mpg

Votes: 203 47.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
5.4L V8 Supercharged 450hp 520 lb-ft 12/19mpg.

Modified lightning motor with better flowing heads. More efficient intake, blower and exhaust. Mild cam. :) This will be my initial set up anyways.

Add whipple blower in the future and shoot for up to 21#'s of boost and it will be making serious hp and torque. Est. 800+ hp. With twin turbos..1000+ hp. These are proven combos. Just visit some of the lightning forums.... they exist.

pdqcarrera

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
turbocharged to win!

I'm not embarrassed to drive a turbocharged 6 cylinder... LOL

Even better, a direct injected turbocharged diesel would be awesome in an Expedition.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5.4 supercharged

I would choose the supercharged engine over the 6.2 (which is the only other fitting gas engine choice for anyone who would ever see snow, or heavy/constant towing.) then of course everyone loves diesel, but all of those engines would have a niche market.

I would have the 5.4L V8 Supercharged 380hp 450 lb-ft 13/17 mpg because of the base torque numbers, an AWD E.B. sporting 450 lb-ft is a bad beast.

I wouldn't be so worried about the H.P. being at 380 either. The current aftermarket would be able to fill that gap that the 6.2L holds at 31 more H.P. than my choice. and probably way surpass it, + power add-ons are always fun projects (usually)

You just can't beat the sound of a supercharger.

The 5.4L family of engines has been around a good long while that gives me solace in knowing those engines are EVERYWHERE. That means ease of tech. support and replacement parts. (which with a supercharger you will need.)

I'm not sure what the Transmissions for them would be, but my 99 Expedition has the 4r100 trans which is overkill for the triton 5.4 but it can be upgraded to be much stronger pretty easily (I pulled a semi uphill in snow this last winter, he helped too, but C'MON!) so longevity played a role in my choice.

For those reasons I really think the supercharged 5.4 expedition is the one for me. but only if I also get to keep the AWD/4X4, and the good trans. if it would be 2WD then screw a bunch of that, gimme the 6.2. Daddy likes to play and work hard

Ha it just occured to me, an SVT Lightning Expedition?? how ridiculously wonderful, pitty they never did it to the ranger.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ideally, the Ecoboost, but if that is not an option, then the diesel. I tow an 8,000 lb camper and would love the added torque over the 5.4. And for Pete's sake Ford, PLEASE give us some decent tow mirrors!

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would choose the supercharged engine over the 6.2 (which is the only other fitting gas engine choice for anyone who would ever see snow, or heavy/constant towing.) then of course everyone loves diesel, but all of those engines would have a niche market.

I would have the 5.4L V8 Supercharged 380hp 450 lb-ft 13/17 mpg because of the base torque numbers, an AWD E.B. sporting 450 lb-ft is a bad beast.

I wouldn't be so worried about the H.P. being at 380 either. The current aftermarket would be able to fill that gap that the 6.2L holds at 31 more H.P. than my choice. and probably way surpass it, + power add-ons are always fun projects (usually)

You just can't beat the sound of a supercharger.

The 5.4L family of engines has been around a good long while that gives me solace in knowing those engines are EVERYWHERE. That means ease of tech. support and replacement parts. (which with a supercharger you will need.)

I'm not sure what the Transmissions for them would be, but my 99 Expedition has the 4r100 trans which is overkill for the triton 5.4 but it can be upgraded to be much stronger pretty easily (I pulled a semi uphill in snow this last winter, he helped too, but C'MON!) so longevity played a role in my choice.

For those reasons I really think the supercharged 5.4 expedition is the one for me. but only if I also get to keep the AWD/4X4, and the good trans. if it would be 2WD then screw a bunch of that, gimme the 6.2. Daddy likes to play and work hard

Ha it just occured to me, an SVT Lightning Expedition?? how ridiculously wonderful, pitty they never did it to the ranger.

I would buy an SVT expedition real quick. Not sure if you knew but the last year the ranger will be sold is 2012.

Edit: Actually I think 2011 is the last year, and starting 2012 it will no longer be available

Last edited:

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that will be a sad day to see the last Ranger. It will be a better day though to see what monster they replace it with.
but in all the years of production for that truck (83-current) (and the Mazda B series)
they never offered anything "stupid" for it.

That really bums me out, the Contour got an SVT package, the F-150, and the mustang... but why not the beloved and forever driving ranger? lots of power in a small light truck...seems like it would have been a hit. we all know a 4.6 will fit in a ranger. (it doesn't have to like it, it just has to fit. lol

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not sure how you came up with the MPG ratings but i think a twin turbo v6 and the diesel would both do far better, at least on the highway mileage.

The MPG ratings were all taken from what the engines currently get in the F150

Last edited: