Ignition Coil test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Hello guys, is there a way for test the ignition coils in a Expy 1998 5.4? I have a 305 code (cylinder 5) but for be sure what is the problem I want to know if some one know any method for test the coil pack (ohms, volts, etc) if the coil pack is ok, could be the spark plug or even the conector.
I will appreciate a lot your help.
Take care

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well replace the spark plug while you have it off anyways. Best way in my mind to test it is to put the new spark plug in the CoP while it is out of the hole. Have someone turn it over and watch for spark. I have had 3 cylinders die on me so far, and each one of them have been the coil.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hello guys, is there a way for test the ignition coils in a Expy 1998 5.4? I have a 305 code (cylinder 5) but for be sure what is the problem I want to know if some one know any method for test the coil pack (ohms, volts, etc) if the coil pack is ok, could be the spark plug or even the conector.
I will appreciate a lot your help.
Take care

Often they only misfire under load which will not show up when tested with ohm meter.

The easiest method is to swap coil with another cylinder to see if the misfire follows the coil. I would replace spark plug as mentioned and make sure its properly gapped.

Last edited: