Ignition coils stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wstcoaster07

Reaction score
Well, $227 later they are done. The mechanic at the dealer (talked to him after to ask for tips) said he had to use a couple different hooks/picks small enough to work around the seals but only 2 boots were stuck on the plug and they came off in the end too with the picks. I think I just need to get some better suited pry tools for next time. He did mention some tsb with my boots and said since I bought new ones (which he used) it shouldnt be as tough next time.
As a side note, he said the old plugs looked good at their 55k mi mark and it may have been a little early to change them but nothing crazy.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry you needed to go to the mechanic but I also understand "the need to get things done VS no time to do it VS need the truck back on the road" so glad you are healthy again.

Good job posting on the condition of the plugs too....I found the same(pretty good condition)...at 80K

jeff

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, $227 later they are done. The mechanic at the dealer (talked to him after to ask for tips) said he had to use a couple different hooks/picks small enough to work around the seals but only 2 boots were stuck on the plug and they came off in the end too with the picks. I think I just need to get some better suited pry tools for next time. He did mention some tsb with my boots and said since I bought new ones (which he used) it shouldnt be as tough next time.
As a side note, he said the old plugs looked good at their 55k mi mark and it may have been a little early to change them but nothing crazy.

I’d like to learn what the TSB said about the coil boots - any idea?

OGBobbyJohnson

Reaction score
I did mine last month. ended up destroying the boots. I found an article online that said to take a half inch piece of PEX and slide it down over the spark plug to get the boot loose. ended up getting 4 out that way on my 17 EL. Worked great. Then used a vaccum to get the little piece of rubber out by taking that same piece of PEX and taping it to the hose of the vacuum.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '09 Expy EL with 129K and I don't know if the plugs have ever been changed. Bought it used with 85K. Still runs good.
Go figure.

space_cowbiy

Reaction score
I was gonna suggest using an air compressor to softly blow into the boot while wiggling the boot.
Glad you got it off. I've got a 2013 (wifes) with 45K miles. I hate to mess with it now but I hate to wait now that i've read the horror story.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest using an air compressor to softly blow into the boot while wiggling the boot.
Glad you got it off. I've got a 2013 (wifes) with 45K miles. I hate to mess with it now but I hate to wait now that i've read the horror story.
Man that's some low miles for a 2013, nice!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sorry for your problem winding up at the dealer. I had the same issue on my 05, and found the solution on YouTube. You already tried most of it, it seems.

In my case (as in the video), pulling the coil off to where the boot was left on the plug, then shooting some WD40 toward the inside edges of the boot as much as possible.

Then grabbed my long slender Craftsman slotted screwdriver (can’t recall the model, but it was also exactly what the fella on YouTube had), inserting it into the boot and working it to the edge of the plug gently. Once that separation happened, my stuck boots popped off easily. Just gotta get that lube worked in between the two.

Side note to anyone else reading along and changing their own plugs: Once you get the boots off, get in that area with a vacuum/blower and make sure to get all the debris away from the plug before removing them. You don’t want that mess getting inside your heads. To most this may seem like plug change 101, but it’s hard to see the debris on some of the cylinders, if you can see the plug area at all.