I'm new to this forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That'd be a 2011, and I have several, just none in .45. I was poking fun at CDP, and IDPA shooters in general :boxing:

Pre-dating the 2011 there was 2 different manufacturers of a double-stack 1911 in .45 IIRC the first was in early 1970s initially designed for LEO use.

Rigpig

Reaction score
Pre-dating the 2011 there was 2 different manufacturers of a double-stack 1911 in .45 IIRC the first was in early 1970s initially designed for LEO use.
Yes, but my response was to chuck_s who posted that 1911s have their own class in competition, to make the game "fair", as if the 1911 is some super weapon. CDP in IDPA and Single Stack in USPSA exist to make the game fair...to 1911 shooters...shooting a single stack...because of their low capacity...

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, but my response was to chuck_s who posted that 1911s have their own class in competition, to make the game "fair", as if the 1911 is some super weapon. CDP in IDPA and Single Stack in USPSA exist to make the game fair...to 1911 shooters...shooting a single stack...because of their low capacity...

Well now don't i feel dumb. Sorry bro.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Since we've managed to complete change this thread :) :

The only documented street gun fight data comes from law enforcement sources and the need to change magazines is negligible even when using a "proper" .45ACP M1911. Two (2) or three (3) rounds max. A spare magazine remains prudent as the magazine is the weak point in any auto pistol. I'm comfortable with nine (9) rounds of 230g JHP in the pistol and another 8 on the belt.

The M1911 trigger remains the gold standard. Gun games with dozens of targets remain games. 0200 in a dark parking lot is unlikely to have that.

Last thing ya want to do is pull the trigger. It will change your life regardless of need or righteousness.

-- Chuck

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since we've managed to complete change this thread :) :

The only documented street gun fight data comes from law enforcement sources and the need to change magazines is negligible even when using a "proper" .45ACP M1911. Two (2) or three (3) rounds max. A spare magazine remains prudent as the magazine is the weak point in any auto pistol. I'm comfortable with nine (9) rounds of 230g JHP in the pistol and another 8 on the belt.

The M1911 trigger remains the gold standard. Gun games with dozens of targets remain games. 0200 in a dark parking lot is unlikely to have that.

Last thing ya want to do is pull the trigger. It will change your life regardless of need or righteousness.

-- Chuck

The biggest problem is lack of appropriate training. Realistically, how often do LEO actually train in a real world scenario? I know as a Marine we are required to "qualify" with our primary weapon (and pistol if you rate one) 1 time per year. Due to budget cuts and financial mismanagement well above my pay grade; once a year doesn't always happen.

Do grunts and ground support troops still train with their weapon more often than that? Absolutely! But nothing, no matter how realistic, will ever compare to live fire exercises. Especially high stress, realistic scenarios with the noises, dark hallways/alleys and muzzle flashes in the darkness. Most crime where one is required to defend themselves is conducted via surprise. Thinking and acting under a surprise attack or ambush is brutally difficult. Shooting under these conditions is as
difficult as it gets. Yet the vast majority of people who carry a firearm don't train to that capacity.

Pulling the trigger, especially in a defensive situation, is an enormous responsibility. There are 2nd, 3rd, 4th order affects that 95% of shooters don't even contemplate let alone be prepared for. The initial investigation itself is enough to overwhelm even the best prepared individual, and it can spiral from there.