Installed new 5 star tuner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My girlfriend is in virginia beach for a visit now. I lived up the road in Gloucester for a couple years.

tfw279

Reaction score
I did the tune also, with an intake.
The intake recommended I change the plugs for tighter ones. I'm going to set up the N-Gauge to monitor knock and see if I should change them. Which sensor should I monitor? What would be acceptable range and what would be a range that I should swap plugs.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the tune also, with an intake.
The intake recommended I change the plugs for tighter ones. I'm going to set up the N-Gauge to monitor knock and see if I should change them. Which sensor should I monitor? What would be acceptable range and what would be a range that I should swap plugs.
Idk what intake you did but plug gaps has nothing to do with intakes. An aggressive tune on high octane running 20+ lbs I’d boost requires a tight gap.

As for PIDs, I myself monitor nothing unless I’m datalogging. Once a month I will plug my x4 in and do a WOT run and look at my boost and knock along with IAT and ECT. 5 star takes care of looking at the rest during revisions. My x4 stays in center console. Depending on what tune you have will determine range for PIDs. Knock for any vehicle at WOT from a DEAD STOP is all they really care about since that puts the most amount of lid on the engine. Want it somewhere between -3 and +3. Any higher, send a datalog for a revision Bc it’s robbing you of power. They will adjust the timing. And lower and there is still power left on the table. Normally I’m running 22lbs of boost and about +2/3 knock at WOT but I’m also on my 8th revision

OP
OP
G

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a volant cold air kit, I told 5 star about it neither they not volant said anything about plug gap.

5star said not to worry about plug gap as the tuner hasn't been in long enough. They do recommend changing plugs at 30-40 k miles. Sounds like a good idea but compared to factory seems like a short life. I suspect it keeps everything operating at it's best

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a volant cold air kit, I told 5 star about it neither they not volant said anything about plug gap.

5star said not to worry about plug gap as the tuner hasn't been in long enough. They do recommend changing plugs at 30-40 k miles. Sounds like a good idea but compared to factory seems like a short life. I suspect it keeps everything operating at it's best
Yeah I changed mine at 35000 when I put tunes in

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All
Have replied about my experience with tuned 3.5L ecoboost engines before on this site
Have had 6 3.5LEcoboost vehicles
2011 F150 with livernois tune driven over 100,000 miles with no issues
2013 Taurus SHO with PP would flat fly & do 0-60 in under 4 seconds with Livernois tune
2013 Flex with 3.5L ecoboost & livernois tune
2016 Explorer sport with Livernois tune
All these vehicles traded for newer vehicles
Currently have
2018 EXPY with HD tow, 4wd FX4 with 5 star E30 ethanol calibration using E51 blend
2018 F150 with HD tow, FX4 4wd with 5 star E30 ethanol calibration using E51 blend
Both of these vehicles will flat fly
BTW E51 costs $2.499 & I lose about 15% in gas mileage
E51 is about 103 octane
Premium 91 octane costs $3.699 here in AZ
So cost per mile is less with E51 & vehicle performance is phenomenal
LOVIN it:burnout:

OP
OP
G

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I'm at my local chic Fila and I'm getting out of my expedition and an equally new navigator comes in.I said nice navigator, he says Thank you looks at my much cleaner expidition and says I looked at one like yours but wanted the bigger engine. I said it's the same engine they are just tuned differently.I get my large iced tea head out and Mr bigger engine pulls up next to me and when the light turns green he nails it but he is already looking at my taillights about 3 car lengths ahead.. thank you 5 star, you saved me 30 grand for 700 bucks.