Installed seat heaters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heater pads are completely trim-able in length, the issue would be making sure the wiring does not get stretched when collapsing the seat etc. Also, you would want the control up front or at least visible, you would not want someone turning it one and forgetting to turn it off.

OP
OP
B

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update. The seat heater I installed on the passenger side is no good on the bottom part. No continuity in that heater. I have been trying to get through to the bozo's that I ordered them from for a week, and they have not replied back. I tried fax, email, and the web form. Nada.
So while the price of these rock, the customer service is a big fat ZERO.
I ordered another one , about $50 shipped, to get the replacement panel. I will have some left over parts for spares, or maybe stick the extra one in my wife's vibe?
The $50 won't make or break me, but the fact they wont even answer an email to the problem is a bit frustrating. They are by far the cheapest place to get them from my limited searching....

SO if you order them from Sports Imports Ltd: Caveat emptor! :flamingdevil:

eastmonsoon

Reaction score
Nice install! I was waiting to see how yours came out and if there were any problems with the products themselves. Price is great but... I am replacing the leather on the drivers seat bottom and having come from a Subaru, where the seats, mirrors and wipers are heated I was bummed at no bum heat. Found your solution and was excited, until I saw your update. Did you just get new hog rings for the seat bottoms?

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The parts you cut out need to be done soe VERY carefully you might have snipped the holes in the middle jsut a tad too big. Also the holes need to be tapped off with electrical tape. I have done alot of these and rendering a heating pad usless can be the difference of 1/8".

from the instructions of the ones I use (which are virtually identical)

- When cutting horizontally, stay 2” (5cm) from the edge of the
pad. Cutting beyond this point may render the pad useless.

- Holes cut into the pad must never exceed 1” (2.5cm) in height.
Cutting beyond this point may render the pad use less.

- Cover any cut edges with electrical tape, folding over the two
sides of the pad.

OP
OP
B

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The parts you cut out need to be done soe VERY carefully you might have snipped the holes in the middle jsut a tad too big. Also the holes need to be tapped off with electrical tape. I have done alot of these and rendering a heating pad usless can be the difference of 1/8".

from the instructions of the ones I use (which are virtually identical)

- When cutting horizontally, stay 2” (5cm) from the edge of the
pad. Cutting beyond this point may render the pad useless.

- Holes cut into the pad must never exceed 1” (2.5cm) in height.
Cutting beyond this point may render the pad use less.

- Cover any cut edges with electrical tape, folding over the two
sides of the pad.

No, something is wrong with the pad. I actually had an issue before I installed them, thinking I had it licked I put it in the truck. I do have an engineering degree, (also aircraft mechanic) so I don't think I did a bozo no-no, but I will delve into it further when I change out the one pad this weekend. Why would you tape the edge you cut out?

OP
OP
B

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice install! I was waiting to see how yours came out and if there were any problems with the products themselves. Price is great but... I am replacing the leather on the drivers seat bottom and having come from a Subaru, where the seats, mirrors and wipers are heated I was bummed at no bum heat. Found your solution and was excited, until I saw your update. Did you just get new hog rings for the seat bottoms?

No hog rings needed. They use plastic clips that clip on to the side frame of the seat.

I don't have heated wipers, but so have a heated windshield washer fluid gizmo that I am already in love with.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cut edges leave exposed wires, these carbores can ground out on metal and or work their way through the seat cover and give you a nice little shock.

OP
OP
B

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, there is no way they can hit metal on the XP seat, there is not any around to hit. Foam and cover. As for a shock, I guess if I can grip both terminals of a battery with all my strength, the seat heater is not going to get me. (Read: 12 or 14 volts has never shocked anyone)
I suppose they could work through a seat cover and stab ya? They seem pretty fine though.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm jsut telling you what I have been told from the manufacturer, I would rather go by there book then wing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr