Installing USB ports in 2nd and 3rd row of expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacoduck

Reaction score
Taking a road trip to disney for spring break. Vehicle is a 2016 ford expo el limited. 4 kids, 6 passengers total.

each Rug rat is on a device. Current USB ports ain’t getting it done. Couple questions

1 external inverter that plugs into cigarette lighter?
2- hardwire install USB ports in second and third row. Most likely more expensive.

Which is better? Which one will actually throw enough juice to power an ipad. Thanks!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would go with what is suggested unless you're just going for the oem fit and finish of a real install. Being spring break is around the corner I'm guessing not too much time to order things and get it done. I'd go for an an adapter such as what is linked above, with the highest output you can find...that 60w isnt probably too common locally sourced though. Most are 30w and will do 18/12w on the 2 ports.

Most modern devices will charge at 12, 15 18, or 25 watt with an outlier or two above that. Generally speaking nothing above 9-15w is usually necessary for anything other than rapid charging. Throw some 10' cables on and route them under door sill trim or carpet to get back to 3rd row somehow and not make a trip hazard. Broken tablet/phone ports are costly. My note 20 ultra can charge with as much as 45w and be done in 35min but charges fine from the 12w output on my radio that is routed into my console, just takes longer which is perfectly fine for a roadtrip. The iPad pro is supplied with a 20w charger for fast cshrge but also charges just fine at 12w, albeit slowly.

Speaking from experience on this. Have a family of 6 as well, we drive everywhere and I used to install 12v goodies for a living. I plan to add in hardwired ports though it hasn't happened in 2 years so I need to get on that project. Mine will end up in the trays in the 3rd row and I plan to modify the panel on the rear hvac controls to accommodate a few ports as well. It's quite a bit of work due to the disassembly but will be much nicer than stringing cords all around.

Glen B Ashcroft

Reaction score
in the middle row i pulled the 12v and replace it with a round 2 port usb charger, installed another in rear cargo using the 12v outlet to power it
also installed 2 in the center console, and since i upgraded the audio the rear controls were invalid so i put a blank in its place ad installled an inverter
so i have bluetooth radio backup camera and 8 USB and 1 120v

DeafBringer

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can replace the Ford 12v cig lighter or the 12v plug to the right of the center stack with a USB unit? looking to do a clean OEM look and get rid of at least the cig lighter.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can replace the Ford 12v cig lighter or the 12v plug to the right of the center stack with a USB unit? looking to do a clean OEM look and get rid of at least the cig lighter.
Yes, you'll need to cut off the OEM connector and splice the USB ports in. USB unit fits perfectly.