Instrument Cluster lights

Given the choices below which would you do if you had unlimited resources?

• Upgrade to a third gen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgrade to a fourth gen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I have a dim spot in the instrument cluster on my Expy (photo attached)20190108_225048.jpg 20190108_225056.jpg . Wondering if anyone has had this before and what they did to fix it. I know the obvious thing to check would be a dead bulb. Tried moving a bulb from another socket that I knew worked and no change. Wondering if this can be sorted out as I would like to do an LED upgrade on the instrument cluster but don't want to bother if I am going to still have the dim spot.

Second thought is to source a replacement cluster. Is the odometer reading stored in the cluster or in the computer of the truck?

As always, Thanks in advance.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had unlimited resources? I’d prob take a 2017 Expedition and remove the 3.5 EcoBoost, install the 6.2L Boss V8 and throw a supercharger on it! That would be my perfect truck.

As far as your dash lights here not sure, aren’t they on the circuit board? May need to send it out for repair or do some careful soldering. Not sure how it’s setup on the 2nd gen.

OP
OP
R

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I had unlimited resources? I’d prob take a 2017 Expedition and remove the 3.5 EcoBoost, install the 6.2L Boss V8 and throw a supercharger on it! That would be my perfect truck.

As far as your dash lights here not sure, aren’t they on the circuit board? May need to send it out for repair or do some careful soldering. Not sure how it’s setup on the 2nd gen.

Funny, I always thought it would be cool to do a Diesel swap on a second gen. Wonder if that is even possible?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been done but years ago... guy that did it swapped to leds and that alone changed the color to blue... theory is the cluster is blue but due to using halogen lights "yellow light" made the cluster green

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been done but years ago... guy that did it swapped to leds and that alone changed the color to blue... theory is the cluster is blue but due to using halogen lights "yellow light" made the cluster green

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

So you have any photo's? Kind of curious what it would look like. Did you change all the other lights on the dash as well? AC / Radio / Door buttons etc? How much did it cost to have done. I was kind of hoping for a bright white like the newer expys and trucks have.