Intake Manifold Recommendations / Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From my current thread on my crossover pipe leak, I’m coming to terms with the idea I’m going to have to replace the intake. I know that there are some critical reviews of the Dorman intake from searches of past threads. Has anyone used one recently? Have they changed the design to address any of the issues ?

If not Dorman, are any of the other brands available from Rock Auto (Autotecnica, SKP, ATP) decent?

I’m trying to balance out the idea that I don’t want to have to do this repair twice, but the truck (2004 5.4 2v) is 15 yrs old with 170k, so there comes a point that you can’t go first rate on everything if it’s only got a few years left.

I’d sure appreciate hearing everyone’s experiences and advice !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esat

Reaction score
From my current thread on my crossover pipe leak, I’m coming to terms with the idea I’m going to have to replace the intake. I know that there are some critical reviews of the Dorman intake from searches of past threads. Has anyone used one recently? Have they changed the design to address any of the issues ?

If not Dorman, are any of the other brands available from Rock Auto (Autotecnica, SKP, ATP) decent?

I’m trying to balance out the idea that I don’t want to have to do this repair twice, but the truck (2004 5.4 2v) is 15 yrs old with 170k, so there comes a point that you can’t go first rate on everything if it’s only got a few years left.

I’d sure appreciate hearing everyone’s experiences and advice !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After this repair my 04 expy tiking like a new truck, what a few years left?[emoji16] My 98 explorer even still running 277 778 miles on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few yeas left..... that is all up to you. Short of major damage, there's no reason why you can't drive your truck for another 10 years. I have a 2000 with 242k miles. I have zero plans to get rid of it anytime soon. Start making "payments" to yourself into a savings account so when it is time to get something new, you've got a nice chunk of money.

But I'll weigh in on this. My intake started leaking around 174k miles. I replaced it with the popular Dorman intake. I wasn't super impressed with the quality. But it ran just fine for about 42k miles and then it started leaking. Because the original intake lasted 174k miles and this one lasted 1/4 that, I was skeptical that it was leaking so I removed it without ordering a replacement. I found the Dorman was leaking all along where the aluminum crossover pipe bolts to the plastic. The bolts were even a little loose. I guess I could have tightened them and possibly been OK, but I really didn't want to chance it.

So I ordered the Motorcraft intake off Amazon. It was a little more expensive but the over quality seemed to justify the added cost. I'm only about 20k miles in on the Motorcraft intake but it's looking good.

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong - I really hope I get a lot more running out of the truck! My concerns are: 1.) The age 2.) Quite a bit of rust (already cut rockers out and have to find an interim fix for that), radiator support looks like if you look at it wrong it will disintegrate. This Expedition replaced a 18-year-old Jeep Grand Cherokee (with the never-say-die 4.0 I-6), and just due to it's age, the mounting repairs were beginning to exceed the value and become a part-time job.

If I have to go with a Motorcraft due to there not being an acceptable aftermarket alternative, I will. I also don't have an unlimited budget for the repair right now (who ever does? These things happen on their own schedule - not ours!).

Just curious to see if brands other than Dorman have been used with any success?

Esat

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong - I really hope I get a lot more running out of the truck! My concerns are: 1.) The age 2.) Quite a bit of rust (already cut rockers out and have to find an interim fix for that), radiator support looks like if you look at it wrong it will disintegrate. This Expedition replaced a 18-year-old Jeep Grand Cherokee (with the never-say-die 4.0 I-6), and just due to it's age, the mounting repairs were beginning to exceed the value and become a part-time job.

If I have to go with a Motorcraft due to there not being an acceptable aftermarket alternative, I will. I also don't have an unlimited budget for the repair right now (who ever does? These things happen on their own schedule - not ours!).

Just curious to see if brands other than Dorman have been used with any success?
Don't forget fuel injector o ring replacements. Also funny but I bought my intake manifold from across the country from a dealer and still was cheaper than my stealership right here. Also intake gaskets was stell and good quality ones. I make a good cleaning up in every place I can get in with steel and cupper brushes with gas cleaning up the bushes. Vacuum all debris I made in each hole

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a shame no one makes an aluminum intake manifold for the 5.4 but Dorman. I should know this, but someone explain why Ford, and all others made a plastic intake manifold? Is it due to electrolysis, transfer and clogging of ports? You'd think with enough ground straps, and coolant/distilled water, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker