Interior noise from exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knut

Reaction score
My 2008 Exp. EL Eddie Bauer was WAY quieter than my 2019 XLT Max..

Wnomis

Reaction score
Went from a 2018 limited to a 21 platinum. The exhaust is slightly louder inside but I figured it had something to do with the extra 25hp. The exhaust is damn loud when pulling a camper but I really don’t mind. I definitely like it better then the weird noises those electric cars make.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may want to try this:
Happy to report, the DEI Muffler Wrap at 24" x 40" fit perfectly, 1-1/2 wraps around the Borla Muffler, with the double layer on top. Reduced the interior sound to a very slight, low tone. Barely audible at 75 mph on cruise control when going up an incline, with no radio. Turn on the radio, and you dont hear the Borla. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010455
From this Thread
Exhaust sound... how to slightly improve?
I have purchased some of this goodness, and installed it, we'll see what it does for sound. Hated that they had no instructions on how to use the "clamp tool" that's included. I just ended up using some pliers.

Question though, for those out there smarter than I, I'm a little concerned about the negative effects of this. Is there a chance of causing the muffler to fail faster by making it overheat? technically wrapping it in a blanket will prevent it from diffusing heat as fast. Just curious.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back from the 2500 mile family vacay, no issues with the muffler wrap, didnt even discolor any. Worked great at dampening the sound, no rain issues either.

sctom1

Reaction score
I read on some posts on this and other forums the Expy exhaust sound is “piped in”. Could that be true? If so, how to stop it. It seems a bit far fetched, but I have to ask. Thanks.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
"Fake engine noise" is created and played through the speakers so the six doesn't sound like a sewing machine. You can search for ways to disable it if you don't mind the real six sound.

I believe all the Ecoboost equipped cars have it. A Ford better idea.

Team_Z

Reaction score
My 21 sounds nice when I remote start it and I’m standing in the rear. I actually get compliments and people ask if I did anything to it. Now my 18 F150 Plati i had a corsa exhaust and it sounded perfect, corsa makes everything sound great!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yes, sticker, Trainmaster speaks sooth. We're aware of all the stories out there these days. But some of those that are hard to believe are indeed true. Fake Engine Noise is one of them:

You don't have to look too deep to read about this. Just Google "Ford fake engine noise." The F-150 forum also has quite an extensive write up on disabling it. Ford refers to it as "active noise control", and "active sound addition". It smooths out the rat-tat-tat of a smaller motor and adds other sound to enhance the driving experience on some cars, making the motors sound more like they have hairy chests. It is part of the sound system and it plays through the speakers when the radio is on or off....

A little more about it:

Here's a general description:

Here's how it's disabled on an F-150 Ecoboost if you like a Dodge-slant-six-taxicab-with-bad-valves sound:

one needs to ask these questions when "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck".
Quack quack, Sticker.

Last edited: