Intermittent grind in rear end right side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey fellas. Back again with a new problem.

Get a heavy distinct grinding sound accompanied by enough resistance in the powertrain to tell me there is a significant amount of friction being created.

Initially I thought it was my IWE/Wheel actuators or lack of vacuum or something but the last time it happened I put it in A4WD straight away and there was no change. My 4WD seems to function properly and when in 2WD she will light the tires just fine (since my misfires and rough idle fixed :)

The last time it happened it was after I reversed on a steep incline, then pulled forward... Now the grind was more of a 'catch' and it was a rotating sound. Again there was significant resistance and it would catch every full rotation of the wheel or driveshaft or something. It only catches on one part of the full rotation. I'm thinking u-joint on driveshaft or cv or something.

My question is how do I test for these components? I know I can pull the wheels around to check my hubs/bearings but never had to diagnose something like this.

Also in a total of about the last 100 miles it has only happened twice, for a few seconds but it's bad enough I have to pull over. Always happens when leaving from a stop or while moving and entering a (semi) tight turn.

I gave her a shot of gas in reverse and drive and it went away the last time.

Any help is appreciated!