Intermittent grinding noise, no turns, no brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

butwhy

Reaction score
Videos of grindingMy expedition, apx 73k miles and a new transmission at 62k, (rebuilt transfer case, new throttle body within the past 15k as well), makes a grinding noise that lasts a few seconds and stops, sometimes it happens every few minutes. The dealerships haven’t been able to replicate it and don’t care to humor the video at all, won’t even look at it or have me send it. The grinding seems entirely random but recently we’ve noticed it at 40mph, I’ve gotten a couple videos of it while on cruise control on a pretty flat straight road. I’ve attached a link to google photos where the videos can be watched, one holding the phone near the dash and one holding it near an open window. This has been the biggest headache in the past 5 years. This is just the most recent issue. Please help

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first video I cant hear nuttin. The second sounds like AC compressor clutch releasing. Turn of AC and see if it goes away.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you get your cam phasers replaced?? It sounds to me like cam phaser rattle!!

When you start the vehicle in the morning, do you get a loud rattle that stays for few seconds?

kcutts

Reaction score
Is your truck 4x4? If so it sounds a lot like my husbands F-150 did. IWE check valve. This hose fixed the problem!

Attachments

• IMG_0575.png
    IMG_0575.png
    474.6 KB · Views: 7