Intermittent loss of front blower motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig72

Reaction score
Hey gang,
We have a 2016 Exped Platinum. The other day, my wife said the front AC blower stopped working. Back air was fine. After reading into it, it sounds like there is an issue with the blower motor switch (YH-1829) and/or the connector to that switch (WPT688). I've even read that a few have caught fire. I dropped the glove box and looked at the connector. Nothing looked melted. However, after disconnecting and reconnecting, the blower started working.
Here is the rub though. When the fan was running full blast, that wire harness got so hot that I couldn't even keep my hands on it. All within about 30 seconds. Turned off AC, temp went down. Back on, temp back up. If I ran the fan at a moderate speed, it got warm, but not super hot.
Does this indicate a problem with the switch or the harness itself? Its going into the dealer since we have a bit of Certified Pre-Owned warranty remaining, but I'm curious about what could be the cause.
Thanks!

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the harness. Mine didn't look burnt or melted until I took it out of the truck and got a really good look at it. Next time it stops working have your passenger kick under the glove box. If it starts working you know you've found the issue.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey gang,
We have a 2016 Exped Platinum. The other day, my wife said the front AC blower stopped working. Back air was fine. After reading into it, it sounds like there is an issue with the blower motor switch (YH-1829) and/or the connector to that switch (WPT688). I've even read that a few have caught fire. I dropped the glove box and looked at the connector. Nothing looked melted. However, after disconnecting and reconnecting, the blower started working.
Here is the rub though. When the fan was running full blast, that wire harness got so hot that I couldn't even keep my hands on it. All within about 30 seconds. Turned off AC, temp went down. Back on, temp back up. If I ran the fan at a moderate speed, it got warm, but not super hot.
Does this indicate a problem with the switch or the harness itself? Its going into the dealer since we have a bit of Certified Pre-Owned warranty remaining, but I'm curious about what could be the cause.
Thanks!

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was not sure if the controller itself was the issue, or just the harness connector. Sounds like its not making good connction, causing the heat-up.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Yeah, it's up at the dealer now. They're going to replace it along with some other work they're taking care of under the CPO warranty before it expires.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Got the truck back from the dealer today. They addressed the blower problem by replacing the blower resister and the blower motor itself. From the paperwork, it doesn't look like they had to replace the connector itself, but I'm going to poke my head in there today at some point just to see. Either way, they were able to duplicate the over-heat issue and verified it was no longer there after the repair.
While it was in the shop, I had them check a small oil leak I had noticed on the front of the engine while I was doing my last oil change. They said the timing chain cover gasket was leaking and they took care of that as well. Said that was a big job, and judging by the material/parts they used, it sure sounds like it. Yay for warranty work ;)

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Sounds like you have good dealer there.
This was our first time using them. It's not where we purchased the truck, but is the closest dealer to our house. I really have no complaints with the work they did. Good communication, fixed all of the verifiable problems we pointed out, and seems like they thoroughly looked into other concerns. For example, my wife noticed that when the truck was switched into Auto 4WD, there seemed to be more drive train noise than we were used to (compared to our old 98, which didn't make much noise). They looked into it, but did not find anything wrong. However, the technician noted that the front differential was a little low on fluid, so he topped it off. Seems like a well run shop.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01