Intermittent loss of front blower motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
Well, a year later and we're having the same issue. What is it with this connector that keeps failing? Is the gauge too small causing it to overheat, or is it simply poor connection causing the heat-up? Anyone have a permanent fix?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, a year later and we're having the same issue. What is it with this connector that keeps failing? Is the gauge too small causing it to overheat, or is it simply poor connection causing the heat-up? Anyone have a permanent fix?

I am surprised the dealer did not replace the connector referenced in the link in Post #4, as it is an instruction to the dealer to replace the connector when other parts are replaced for an inoperable blower.

You may want to replace the affected connector per the TSB.

Here is an excellent video on how to replace it if you do it yourself: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=42Ae37Zx90E

I don’t have answer to your question, but I believe it is a known poor quality / design part that Ford had known about for years, and chose to ignore trying to improve the connector.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an older (1998) Dodge van that used to go through those type connectors. It would end up melting right at the resistor. After the second time, I got both sides of a 4 pin trailer connector with pigtales. Soldered one side to new resistor and other to exiting wire harness. Never had another issue.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surprised they did not swap harness at dealer. When I replaced the resistor on my '09 there was one wire that needed a new connector, it was melted.

OP
OP
craig72

craig72

Reaction score
So far the new harness seems to be doing it's job. I installed it about 2 weeks ago and no complaints yet. Hopefully the newer design from Ford fixes whatever the flaw was with the old one.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far the new harness seems to be doing it's job. I installed it about 2 weeks ago and no complaints yet. Hopefully the newer design from Ford fixes whatever the flaw was with the old one.

Are you aware that your vehicle is now subject of a Ford safety recall for the potential that the front HVAC blower motor may catch fire while the vehicle is running: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCMN-22V648-9794.pdf

azsheepdog

Reaction score
I have a 2012 and 2014 expedition and both have this issue of intermittent blower motor issues and the plug gets super hot. My mechanic said the blower motor is causing an over amperage causing the shut down and the super hot connector. we replaced 1 of the blower motors in the 2012 and it seemed to fix the issue. replacing the blower motor in the 2014 now and hopefully also fixing the issue. I find it odd that 2 expeditions 2 years apart are having the same issue at the same time.