Intermittent rough idle and shaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motor On

Reaction score
2009 Expedition XLT 5.4 liter engine with 208k miles. Former Highway Patrol. Purchased six months ago at 206k miles. Two short episodes (3-5 seconds) of severe shaking at rough idle and in reverse. Drives great on the streets and highway. No check engine light. Codes P0341 & P0346 -Camshaft position sensor. Very regular dealer oil changes.

Smog shop tech says EGR and all emissions control system is working fine. 99%+ of the time idle is smooth.

Is it just the camshaft position sensor(s), or more likely something bigger?
VCT Solenoid(s)?

Timing chain? How long will this truck keep rolling without a major intervention? Just keep driving it? Start throwing money into diagnostics or new timing chain etc? Or, walk away?

Is it safe to drive? If it is timing chain stretch, how long will it run until it dies? What should we expect?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Motor On

Reaction score
Replaced cam position sensors (x2). We will see if that does it, or if it needs solenoids or phasers and/or a timing chain in the future.

Bryson A Martin

Reaction score
@Motor On did replacing the 2 cam sensors fix the issue? I'm getting the same codes from my forscan app and I've already replaced both vct solenoids. When made sure to do oil change immediately after replacing both vct's to ensure new/good oil is running through engine. The shaking and loud noise it makes is embarrassing and annoying.