intro and wierd idle no cel (thats right another idle thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone name is Joe from Santa Fe NM. Long time BMW tuner and engine builder, new to Ford.

Little about me. I have been building and racing BMW E30's for about 5 years now. Currently have a 87 325e/i Stroker running 25 pounds of boost and a custom Megasquirt tune. Point being I know My way around a engine bay lol.

Anyway just bought a 1997 Expedition XLT 4x4 with the 4.6 Triton. Have a baby on the way so it is perfect.

I have had it for 4 days now and have noticed several weird things so here is he list of problems.

stumble on idle when in drive
slight stumble on acceleration (low RPM)
on take off from a stop get a popping sound from intake (backfire) not often
idle stumble is worse when A/C is on
no Cel light at all
seems to get worse with stop and go driving
also engine sems like it is lacking in power at Highway speeds it sometime shifts down just to keep at 60 mph

May be unrelated but I am also getting a door ajar light when all doors are closed going to replace door switches
And the ABS light is contently on. Is there a separate ABS module in these?

and here is the list of things I have done.

Added drop in K/N filter.
cleaned throttle plate and body.
removed EGR valve and cleaned it.(idle got 80% better after still lopes)
and I don't have COP it has 2 separate coil packs. anyone know the correct ohms for testing these and the procedure.
also my thought first was timing problem but you guys know these better already checked vauum lines all good.
thanks for reading my lengthy post. And I am very excited about being part of the community here. I plan on contributing a lot, have big plans for my Expy. once this thing is in good running condition and all maintenance is done, there is a rear mount turbo in this Expy's future :) nothing big just some nice reserve power

Last edited:
OP
OP
joecrotch

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
47 views and not a single reply. Did I stumble into a "we don't like outsiders forum".

OP
OP
joecrotch

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just want to follow up so if some poor soul is googling for this he will find an answer. by the way thanks for all the help guys :rolleyes:

Anyway I took my expy to the local part house to read the codes it came back o2 sensor 1 bank 2
and lean signal in 02 sensor 1 bank 2
and
cylinder 3 and 4 misfire

anyway so I started with a visual inspection as I removed the spark plugs from 3 hen 4 I noticed they were autolite (never liked them) but even weirder they both had a black line down the side of the ceramic insulator. Upon closer inspection I found they were carbon tracks! and I have never seen them this big or dark. looks like its been grounding for years (had the exp for a month now). anyway swapped out plugs for bosch iridium's and wires are Ford Racing 8mm.

thnx and good luck