Is all the "fuel saving" tech really worth it in the long run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Early success in New York City taxi fleets changed that. The first 18 Escape Hybrids all accumulated over 175,000 miles in a year and a half on New York streets. As of 2017, Escape Hybrids remained a significant part of the taxi fleet despite the model’s 2012 phase-out. Each one we’ve encountered had close to 400,000 miles on the odometer. If you see a used model, consider picking it up for the long haul.

Whatever, they can keep their pixie dust article and brushed up stats. Talk to any veteran cabbie in NYC and they'll tell you that the most reliable "tank of a cab" was the venerable 4.6L V8 Ford Crown Victoria!

The only reason they went "hybrid" is because of what cars the city allows them to buy / use as cabs and because the Crown Vic's production ended in 2011. The greentards made sure the new list is comprised of "feel good" vehicles that will save NYC dwellers from burning up to a crisp in 12 years because of "Climate Change" (as per the high priestess AOC). They forgot to send a copy of the memo to China and India, though... :rolleyes:

The only "long haul" you'll be doing in a used Escape Hybrid is to the dealer's service & parts department. Be warned that spare parts for these are as scarce as hen's teeth, though... and uber-expensive + dealer only... and that most mechanics are not certified to work on hybrids... so your super-duper, feel-good hybrid might be sitting out of commission for weeks or even months at a time, lol!

Now go buy a used one and report back in a couple of years... let's do a little "eco-friendly new tech for the long haul" experiment here. I hope you are not too attached to whatever's in your wallet. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you are right and wrong about the future 762.....yes, IC engines will come to an end, enjoy it now. The problem us guys here have with electric is that as Electric is rolled out, it will be loaded with AI and other tech but WE will never own one. I personally believe that the goal will be leased/shared cars. You will pay per mile but will never own the vehicle in which you ride.

Just my guess based on indicators....

If this actually happens, stop the planet because I want to get off... :eek:

I'm not at all interested in any communist "ride sharing" or "borrowing from the man" scheme. A vehicle is the extension of one's personality and it is therefore a highly personalized item for many people. It is a place of personal privacy and peace as well. I feel the same about "sharing" my ride with Tom, Dick, Harry and Suzie as I feel about sharing underwear with them.

Forced leasing is a scam, because they have you on the hook paying for life. I'm sure auto makers would be salivating at the idea of having us all pay them daily for their disposable plastic crap, like junkies to a drug dealer!

How about a future bumper sticker idea: "You can pry my classic Ford truck from my cold dead hands, commies!"... lol! :D

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The goal is shared/mass transport and to get away from cars. Ford has stated its end goal is shared/mass transport and autonomous technology as have many other auto companies. Granted that goal changes with management. I will never own or buy into autonomous/shared. If that’s the case they will have to pry my steering wheel from my cold dead hands. Won’t happen. I’ll drive an electric vehicle, but I’m driving it.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The goal is shared/mass transport and to get away from cars. Ford has stated its end goal is shared/mass transport and autonomous technology as have many other auto companies. Granted that goal changes with management. I will never own or buy into autonomous/shared. If that’s the case they will have to pry my steering wheel from my cold dead hands. Won’t happen. I’ll drive an electric vehicle, but I’m driving it.

Many people enjoy driving, fixing and personalizing their vehicles. Others see it as a mandatory appliance. Because of that there will always be the ability to own and drive a vehicle regardless of whether there are fully autonomous and ride-share options available.

It’ll be alright everyone. Try not to be so paranoid and scared of everything.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many people enjoy driving, fixing and personalizing their vehicles. Others see it as a mandatory appliance. Because of that there will always be the ability to own and drive a vehicle regardless of whether there are fully autonomous and ride-share options available.

It’ll be alright everyone. Try not to be so paranoid and scared of everything.

It's not paranoid or scared when you just don't like it.